Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 WB setup problems.  Suggestions needed. >

WB setup problems. Suggestions needed.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

WB setup problems. Suggestions needed.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:20 PM

Default WB setup problems. Suggestions needed.

I have an older Jennings Machined Extreme XL that I am going to use to hunt this fall. The bow is in great shape with little use. I was going to buy a new bow, but as I just bought a new rifle and I am getting a treestand, rangefinder, ect, I've decided to get through this year with the Jennings. I bought a Whisker Biscuit for the bow but because of the small brace height(just under 6" on this 40" bow) the fletchings will sit in the bicuit. Even with 4" Fletchings I can't draw the bow without damage to the feathers and much noise. So I mounted the rest in front of the riser but now I need to shoot arrows that are 2" longer. I was shooting 30" arrows but will have to go to 32" I think. My draw length is 28".

So... If I shoot carbon arrows does this extra arrow length cause many problems for me? Do you think I should use another rest? Should I use Veins and pull them through the biscuit? Should I just say to hell with it and buy a new bow? No don't answer that last one, I am already spending alot of money for this falls hunt. This bow is noisy compared to the new bows, but I can shoot it is very accurate and it should provide plenty of speed for my needs this season.

My first post and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh
Old 08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WB setup problems. Suggestions needed.

The simple solution, I think, would be to get rid of the feathers and go to plastic fletched arrows. There won't be a problem with them starting in the WB and they won't have the noise of the feathers through the WB.
Welcome to the boards. I'm sure some others will chime in some ideas for ya!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest refleching with vanes, if you want to keep the rest. I would also mount the rest behind the riser. If you don't want to refletch, then I'd suggest a TM hunter type shoot through rest. If your arrows are already fletched with the cock vane out, and you can't rotate the nock, a Starhunter rest will work well. As far as the bow goes, Limb Savers and a good stabilizer will go a long way to making it much quieter.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Thanks-
I am going to buy new arrows anyway and switch to carbon. I made the mistake of letting a kid at Gander sell me the rest and some feather arrows that are not spined correct, if I am reading Easton's chart correct. I do not have any Archery shops that I know of local. Any suggestion on arrows that I may be able to pick up ar Bass Pro? I was thinking of going carbon as I was told it was easier to get arrows spined correctly as they cover a broader range of applications. This could be more misinformation. Sorry for the novice questions but I can't seem to get anyone here to give me quality information. I will pick up some limbsavers also. If that don't help much I will replace the Stabalizer.

Thanks again. I am really looking forward to getting this straightened out

Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM

How about fletching with Bohning Blazer vanes? Only 2" long, more clearance with your 6" brace height. Then you can mount the biscuit behind the riser where it belongs, and keep your arrows the right length. The Blazers also hold up well thru the biscuit.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:26 PM

Yep- I have been reading alot on the net tonight and the Blazers sound like something I could try. I do not have a Fletching jig but I am going to go to Bass Pro tommorow and see what they have. Some people swear by feathers for broadhead stability. I do not know if I have any competent archery stores close by. I have not had a good feel from what I have seen so far.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is your draw weight? Also, if you stick with the Whisker Biscuit, you can use a shorter arrow than 30". If you are concerned about the noise that bow makes, you can quiet it down by using alumium arrows that are correctly spined. If you go with carbon, I would suggest trying Carbon Express Terminator Selects. They are composite carbon/fiberglass and are heavier arrows, very tough. They always shot well for me and they are reasonable in price (<$65 per doz.) You could order from Lancaster Archery, and have them cut to length. Just a thought. For a mid '90s bow, I would use heavier arrows to help with the noise/vibration of the bow. That Jennings should be a good shooter though. I had a Carbon Extreme with a mag. riser, and also the Speedstar, which I think used the same riser that you have. Both shot very well. Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:57 AM

My draw weight is at 64 right now and I just started shooting it. I was thinking I may go up if my shoulder continues to feel good.

So now you have me second guessing the switch to Carbon. I am off to Bass Pro soon. If I stick with aluminum will the boys at Bass Pro be able to help me out with the correct spine. Several people have suggested going to Carbon, but I had not took increased noise into consideration. I am getting Limbsavers today and possibly a new stablizer also which I hope will quiet it down some.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 AM

Personally, I would stick with carbon arrows with vanes. I used feathers last year and they worked fine, but get kind of ragged on the edge from the WB. Bohning, Flex Fletch, and Vanetec vanes all hold up well thru the WB. I would stay away from the softer vanes like Duravanes that come on most arrows off the shelf, they will ripple and be noisy.

As far as arrow weight, I agree with JoePA that the Terminators would be a good choice. They are in a weight range similar to aluminum, but will not bend like aluminum.