Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow safety ??

Old 08-20-2005, 11:57 AM

Default arrow safety ??

can anyone tell me if it is okay to shoot a 304gr arrow out of a 62lb bow,27 1/2 draw, 26 inch arrow?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow safety ??

Is that total weight including broadhead? It's recommended 5 grains of weight for each pound of draw.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM

without actually doing the math that might be a tad under the 5 grn per lb guide line, but it's pretty darn close. I think it would be fine any considering you have a 27.5 inch draw length. They figure that for a 30 inch draw length. The less draw you have the less power your bow has, so you can get away with lighter arrow.

Bowjacksons site has a chart for minimum AMO arrow weight going by draw length, cam type and poundage.

Keep in mind if you are shooting a very fast bow that also becomes a consideration.

If you are going to compete I would check to see what minimum weight is legal.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I would say no...... Go with a heavier arrow.... Shooting a light arrow will only damage and stress your equipment, even with the Amo standard you are light... Its not worth getting hurt or tearing up your equipment...
Old 08-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the bow. If it's a modern bow, then it probably won't blow up in your face. If it's an older style bow with the steel cables, dacron string and teardrop connectors, it very well could blow up in your face.

The AMO recommended arrow weight chart (which I think only fools ignore) shows a minimum 320 grains for 62# draw at 27" for a high performance cam. 286 grains for an energy cam. 251 grains for a round wheel bow. 217 grains for a recurve.

But, those are recommended MINIMUM weights... the kind of stuff target shooters mess around with. Hunters should really use arrows running quite a bit heavier, in my not-so-humble opinion. Personally, I'd never shoot a hunting arrow that weighs less than 450 grains (I usually shoot arrows running from 550-700 grains), and think 400 grains should be the absolute minimum for hunting arrows.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Wow, that extra inch makes a big difference on the AMO chart. I was guessing off the top of my head. I have 26 inch draw and can easily shoot under 300 grns AMO minimum. I didn't think one inch would make a huge difference.

I also agree with Arther on the weight. I have a 26 inch draw and 52 lb of draw weight with a Bowtech mighty might. I shoot 450 grn aluminum arrows. You can here the loop slip of my release it is so quite. Not that lighter arrows are loud, but the difference is noticable. And there is a noticable difference in how hard the arrow impacts the target as well.

Probably not such a good arrow for 3-D though unless you could judge yardage really well.

Here is a link to the chart. AMO minimum weight chart

Paul