Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 "Snagging" setup suggestions? >

"Snagging" setup suggestions?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

"Snagging" setup suggestions?

Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Default "Snagging" setup suggestions?

I'm going to begin "snagging" for spoonbill as the weather warms up. (For those unfamiliar with it...its perfectly legal, from the shore). I'm in college so money is tight. However, I've already learned you don't get away by buying junk either. My buddy suggests a 7' or 8' pole but what suggestions are out there as to setup. I'd much rather us a spinning reel than a baitcaster/trolling reel. Aside from that we'll be using el'cheapo 50lbs mono and 4-8oz sinkers...any suggestions there?

Just "fishing" for some tips. Thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Snagging" setup suggestions?

Illegal in our area, I have no idea about it... Sorry!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I couldn't believe it was legal when he first told me about it a year or two ago. But as long as its daylight and you're not in a boat (it would have to be a BIG boat) and you have all the fishing licenses and what not you're good to go. You definately work for your catch though!!! When's the last time you had to stop fishing for a few minutes 'cause you just got flat worn-out? It's fun and suprisingly good eating.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had pretty good success with it snatching shad in Maryland and Nile Perch in Florida. I don't know nothing about using asinker ..I actually used a snatch hook...A large treble hook with it's own built in lead weight. However I haven't snatched in years.
Chuck7
Old 01-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

It is called snagging, gigging or lifting in my circles. Not the way I want to fish. To each his own.[>:]
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot them with a bow
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 AM

I'd like to bowfish as well but these are 20-30lbs fish by the dams. The water is deep and fast...and boats are illegal anyways AND I don't believe they ever come that close to the surface.We aren't going after the usual gamefish. This is the only way I've heard of catching "spoonbill" or "paddlefish" and I've went with my buddy twice last year and this was the only species he caught this way. He says if you're in certain areas you'll snag flatheads as well...but I'd rather use the usual methods for those.

If we were pulling in bass every other fish I'd have to agree with Islander.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i lived in missouri i went snagging for spoonbill every march when the season openned. for my setup I used a 6.5 to 7 foot 20-50 lbs offshore rod with a penn 500 reel loaded up with 90 to 130 lbs dacron line, id tie two 8/0 to 10/0 trebble hooks inline with eachother about 16 to 20 inches apart then a 8 oz bell sinker at the bottom about 20 inches from the bottom hook and drag it along the bottom of the river channel where i fished in Warsaw, missouri there we could do it from a boat, my biggest ive ever caught was around 82 lbs. they are lots of fun to catch and taste really good too.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'm set up and ready to go with a Penn 309 and a 7ft rod made for snagging. Only one treble hook is legal here and we tie it about 10 inches from 8oz sinkers. (We also use only 50lb mono...cheap and easier to break when you eventually get caught on rocks are the hundreds of "others" out there.)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM

I am from missouri and we snag in the spring. The biggest paddlefish i have caught was an 82lber. But any way we use a 4 or 6 oz. sinker with 80lb ripcord line. We usea 12ft. surf rod. its for spinning reels. the one we have arent' real expensive. I think we got ours at Wal-mart.Good Luck