Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Suggestions for my setup..... >

Suggestions for my setup.....

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Suggestions for my setup.....

Old 02-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Suggestions for my setup.....

Here' s a wide open question... I' m a basic " newbie" - been turkey hunting for 2 seasons, been busted many times.

Remington 870 Express Mag (lefty) 12GA
Federal 3" mag premium #5 turkey loads
Tru-glo tru-point fiber optic clip on sights
Tru-glo X-full ported choke
HS Strut champion box call
Buckwing jake & hen decoy set
Advantage Timber camo (everything is Adv Timber).

I had a cheesy plastic push button call that I tossed out. It was awful and no matter what I did, it would NOT sound like a hen yelping!

Okay, now.... Put yourself in my shoes. What would you change? What would you get to enhance the gear now?

Mouth call? Never used one. No clue.
Slate call? Never used one. Would like to pick one up but want to know if there is a slate call for newbies

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas/constructive criticism.

Butch
Old 02-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Suggestions for my setup.....

i firmly believe you can never have to many calls.somtimes that old boss tom needs somthing a little different sounding.you should invest in diaphrams and a slate call.slates are easy to master,diaphrams are harder but with alot of practice they can be very effective.other then that you set up sounds fine.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butch your equipment is more than adequate to get it done!!As far as calls,friction or air you have to start sometime and there' s no better time than the present!Learning to be versitale with your calling strategy' s can be a big asset at times afeild!!Things like patience,persistance,and confidence can prove to be more valuable afield more often times than not than anything you can carry in your turkey vest too!!!Hope this helps,Bob
Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-19-2003, 07:05 AM

Butch the only thing I can add,is be sure you have camo gloves and headnet.
movement is what gives most hunters away.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the replies.

I have Advantage Timber gloves and headnet/hat too. I like the portable blinds too, but don' t know if they are really worth it. You know... do they startle the birds more or not.

Butch
Old 02-19-2003, 07:33 AM

Yo ButchA...I went to a slate ( H.S.Strut..Lil' Deuce ) and I found it easy to use and easy to pay for as well. I' m staying with a slate call for now on and I have the new Primo' s " The Freak " on order. A mouth-call is a good way to call ' em when they' re getting close ...so practice ...practice ...practice . The one thing I see you have which didn' t work for me at all is the True Glow sights. I kept hitting about 6" low every shot , no matter what I did. I finally took them off and was bang on with using only the shotgun' s ( Win. 120 ) front bead.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:19 AM

Butcha If your not sure about slates you can try the simple little push button boxes to get you some more sounds. These are very simple to use and good for beginners. The boys are right though you need to start with mouth and friction calls sooner or later. You also need to get yourself some locator calls. (crow, owl hooter, peacock, coyote, etc.)
Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM

The slates are very easy to use. You should be able to pick up the litttle Duece or Duece II for around $10.00. Then pick up a couple fo different strikers(each will give you a different sound). I' ve called a few birds in with those squaky plastic pushpin calls. They sound horrible to me. But sometimes the birds like them. Otherwise you look well equipped to get the job done.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your setup sounds good to me. I would take the time to learn how to use a mouth call. They allow you to add some variety and are great for when you need a little putt to get him in those last couple of yards.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for my setup.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.