Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 Are drop-away rests accurate... >

Are drop-away rests accurate...

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Are drop-away rests accurate...

Old 01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Are drop-away rests accurate...

drop aways are very accurate. at 20 yards i cant aim for the same bull because im breaking nocks. and im not the best shot in the world.im useing it for hunting and looking at entering a leauge this spring.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

IMO speed and use are critical in determining your rest. At higher speeds, some rests can't beat the fletching. I use the limbdriver and have come to love it. Precise, durable, and very quick to drop. If you have a moderate or low speed bow, I think that you would have a few more options. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Hi

Since you stated that you are interested in hunting one of the issues you will face is keeping the arrow on the rest while shooting at some what different angles. The answer for me was the vital gear vital drop rest. It has two adjustable figures that hold the arrow thru the draw and then drop away on release. Never had a problem with interference of the rest and it allows me to set the bow down or hang it in the tree stand with the arrow in the ready positions. All that is required is to draw the bow! As you know the least amount of movement in a tree stand the better chance you have of making that difficult shot! Check out the vital drop rest and I think you will be happy with it!

Mike -
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I just won bronze in the team competition compound A division with a QAD ultra rest and a optix ME hunting sight on a 82nd airborne, third of 14 teams. Not bad for a hunting rig.

F.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

I am really surprized that the quad ultra rest is working out for you on the 82nd
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Niehenke,

it took some fiddling around and mailing Qad a few times but she shoots arrows like they're heatseeking missiles. Last competition I shot vegas rounds and had 6 times 3 X's

I had to change the old bar that holds the rest for a newer model and I still use the factory launcher not the L1 or T1. I all so placed a little foam piece to catch the launcher as it hits the riser ( still is a damn quiet bow for a speed bow )

And I have to admit it's apretty tight fit but it works.

Frank
Belgium
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Are drop away rests accurate! It has been my experience that most are accurate! BUT we must have the proverbial BUT the ones that most complaints come from are not set up correctly! Most have moving parts that are subject to vibration and wear! Of the users that I have helped out that said the rest was junk ended up being set up wrong for the application! Yes some are slow to retract but that is usually a function of the release or the spring tension! your arrow will need to travel 20 some inches before the fl etching gets to the rest - the release only needs to drop 1/2 inch! Not much competition there! most of the time a rest catches a fletching there is something wrong with the setup of the rest! Like everything, the best bows usually have the best setup and have been finely tuned to be forgiving! Same goes for the drop away rest most are junk right out of the box! What I mean here is that if you expect to bolt the drop away on your bow and have it work prefect the first time out, your dreaming! It usually takes a couple of hours to fine tune the drop away to work on your bow and get it timed correctly and hold the arrow correctly! Every bow and arrow combination is unique onto itself!

So are drop away rest accurate? YES! providing you take the time to set them up properly! If you find yourself saying this rest is junk try resetting it! Some are better than others depending on what you are looking for! The best one I have found for hunting is Vital Gears drop away! It is the best for uncontrolled areas of shooting! Is it the best for spots definately not, but then again you are standing on flat ground and shooting level!

Mike -
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

MERWIN, i am not sure that I agree with your statements that dropaways are difficult to setup. the limb driver is very simple and it is very quick to drop. As for the wear, I will let you know when my limb driver takes a crap but I shot ~2-3 times a week for 1 year and 2 months. That is a lot of arrows without wear or failure. I am not in sales but I will recommend something that has worked well for me and trust me, I am very picky.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not all fallaways are the same,the LD and Whammy literally take just minutes to setup and get right.