Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Do it yourself drop away rests... >

Do it yourself drop away rests...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do it yourself drop away rests...

Old 10-30-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Do it yourself drop away rests...

I visited a shop that I had never been to the other day. The guy behind the counter showed me how they had been making their own fall away rests. He had a bag full of cable slides with a hole in them for a string to fit onto and was using NAP 1000's which he had reversed the spring tension on. Of course then he had conected the slide and the rest to pull the prongs up as you would come to full draw and then the reverse spring tension would drop it upon release. He said that he had made hundreds of these modified rest's with only two of his customers asking him to switch it back. He said they work flawlessly.

Just thought it was a neat idea.

Kirk
Old 10-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do it yourself drop away rests...

I just happen to have an NAP QT 1000 Pro and a cable slide sitting here, and have been contemplating modifying it for some time. But in playing around with it, I wonder if you could get the spring tension tight enough to get it to drop enough to clear the fletching when shooting high fps... Does anyone know?

I'll probably play around with it after this season... or now

Can anyone elaborate on how the spring is accessed on this rest? From the launcher side by removing the c-clip where the shaft goes into the gold colored collar, or the spring adjustment knob on the outside of the rest? I figured out easily this spring has enough gusto to get the heck outa the way of the fletching...

Edited by - Rangeball on 10/30/2002 14:35:02
Old 10-30-2002, 01:43 PM
8PT

I haven't done this with that particular rest but did modify a GK toughman to work this way and it did work pretty well. Rangeball. did you get my email with the picture? If so I hope it helps.

Old 10-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got it! You got questions...

Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, that was so easy it was pathetic. All you need to do is turn the tension knob forward and the spring reverses. Now, any idea how to connect the string to the rest so that it pulls up? Can one use serving material and tie off directly to the cable instead of tying onto the cable slide?

Old 10-31-2002, 12:31 AM

I've seen em just tied off to the cable also. I'm sure the prongs drop fast enough. The guy at the shop was shooting a BK II that had this mod. As for connecting the string to the rest it looked like the fella had just screwed one of the "upper" of one of the screws on the bottom of the prongs. If that makes any sense. He used what looked like a long piece of camo string loop type material. Let me know how it turns out. I think I might try one out myself.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

I just reversed the collar on the rest and put a longer stop screw in to tie the rope loop material to (just tied the other end off to the cable and served a stop on the cable). It doesn't take much of the reversed spring tension to work. Be careful cause if you try for too much tension it can snap the spring.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2002, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is being done about the launchers? I mean, do they hold the arrow before it is drawn? My NAP QT launchers seem kinda far apart. Do they pick the arrow up efficiently and hold it place without the threat of arrow fall off at an inopportune moment?

Old 10-31-2002, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, are these being set up so the launcher hits the riser, or clears behind it?

The gears are turning. I think I can come up with a sweet launcher for this rest that should work very very well... Man it's fun to tinker

Quick Reply: Do it yourself drop away rests...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.