Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

best breed for....

Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default best breed for....

I decided to put this topic under both the South Forum and Sporting dog because i figured I would get good suggestions, thoughts, cripes, etc etc on both. I'll be moving to Eastern Texas early next year and I want to get a dog sometime. I was thinking about either a German Short Haired or a Lab. but not having been there in awhile, I don't really know all what is out there in terms of upland birds. Out of the two, what would be the best breed to get? I also plan to go duck hunting as well in the future. Thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best breed for....

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

I decided to put this topic under both the South Forum and Sporting dog because i figured I would get good suggestions, thoughts, cripes, etc etc on both. I'll be moving to Eastern Texas early next year and I want to get a dog sometime. I was thinking about either a German Short Haired or a Lab. but not having been there in awhile, I don't really know all what is out there in terms of upland birds. Out of the two, what would be the best breed to get? I also plan to go duck hunting as well in the future. Thanks in advance
Somewhat depends on what you are going to be primarily hunting and what (when waterfowling) the water temps will be. Either a German Wirehair or a Pointing Lab sound the bet so far-- but it depends on your answers to my questions as to whether I'd suggest a GSP or not.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 PM

We have plenty of quail in Texas, mostly north,west and south texas but they are around in the eastern parts as well. Good duck/goose hunting. The panhandle has pheasants. lots of doves all around the state. Really depends on what you intend to hunt. GSP are very popular as are labs but usually for different types of hunters.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:09 AM

Red Hawk,

Here in East Texas the Quail population has been diminished over the past 15 years.

There are a few quail but they are few and far between. Ducks are still prevelant.

If you primarily hunt quail you will need to travel out of east Texas to have a good hunt.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

No choice in my mind GSP. I use my 2 for everything. They handle heat OK, cold OK, cover OK, water OK. I don't know of a dog that likes cactus, but mine put up with that OK too. Heck, I like them so much I just got another pup.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-03-2004, 11:45 AM

GSP would stand up well in the Piney woods of East Texas although it always seemed to me that the Labs did better with the dust and mold you are going to find in that part of the country. Had a friend whose GSP seemed to come home with a nose irritation every time we hunted her there-Vet said it was an irritant from the soil-anybody else had that problem?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 PM

i think you better try the english springer spaniel i am from malta and here we use them for anything from quails to woodcocks to turtle doves and ducks and the are also good retrievers
Old 12-15-2004, 01:36 AM

Id definitely go with a GSP based solely on hunting, i may be biased but i think the GSP has a definite edge in that type of hunting. labs are great too but i think their niche is cold weather waterfowling. ive seen good upland labs but it seems to me they are generally harder to train them for this purpose and never quite get as enthusiastic. i have a 9 month GSP male and i think he's the best dog in the world. jack of all trades IMO. im not a very good dog trainer but he pretty much took to it naturally. was never gun shy, he'sactually attracted to gun shots. virtually impossible to tire out. absolutely resilient, tough and determined. the only disadvantage is their short coat but in texas it should be an advantage plus ive never seen him discouraged by the weather. neverer complains, will jump in ice water to retrieve. outstanding family dog, lots of fun and very sweet.

however, i always say i wouldnt recomend these dogs to anyone but the most patient and loving owner. as much as we love ours, he has been extremely difficult at times. the very traits that make him such a good hunter make him a difficult dog to housetrain. they require LOTS of exercize, they are quite hyper, they chase cats, he was hard to potty train, quick learner but stubborn and hard to break bad habits. quite destructive. doesnt handle being alone very well, and they are very rambunctious and wouldnt be a very good dog for the elderly or the meek. i see alot of free ones in the paper around 1 year old an i can see why.