Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 searching for new hunting dog please read >

searching for new hunting dog please read

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

searching for new hunting dog please read

Old 10-26-2004, 05:36 AM

Default searching for new hunting dog please read

hi all

i used to raise springers and the last one i had totally turned me off to the breed. i am looking for a good all around dog. i may be asking too much in one dog but i would like something that will be good with children, not high strung (like spingers), good with other animals, and is a good hunting dog for birds and rabbits. can anybody give me any advice?? i've been thinking about a beagle. oh BTW, i have a mastiff in the house and another dog inside just won't do, but i do have a huge fenced in yard with access to the garage to keep warm. thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:43 AM

Default RE: searching for new hunting dog please read

A beagle probably won't do for birds. Sounds like a Lab is the dog you are looking for and fits everything you want. However, with proper training, the springer is as good a chioce as any.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:54 AM

Default i used to love springers

my grandparents have a farm that's been in the family for close to 200 years and as far as i know, springers have been the dog of choice on the farm ever since then. of course, i've been raised around them all of my life but the last couple that i've had were just waaaay tooooo high strung for not only myself but for my wife as well. I don't know if i got some bad stock or not but these last two (from seperate breeders) were so hard headed. i had one who liked to hunt porcupines and cost me a ton of money and the other was too interested looking up in the trees for squirrels to bother with anything else. i do know how to train springers but i think maybe i'm warn out with the breed. i would really like to try something else. i've been looking at labs too. if it helps, i'm more interested in rabbit hunting than i am birds, but i once small game hits, i like to hunt anything.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:45 PM

If you are looking for somethiing that is a good all around dog and not very high strung. I would definatly go with a lab. I have a lab and a GSP. Both can be very mellow in the house but a GPS would most certainly not fit the mold if your not looking for high energy. Beagles can be good but they do have a distinctive whine bark that some find iritating and can be prone to problems with joints. If you do end up looking for a beagle be sure to find a good breader and ask about the health history of the puppies and parents.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:53 PM

I have high power Springer out of good field trial stock. IMO Regular daily exercise ands some obediance training worked very well for me .He is sleeping next to me as I type this.He is gentle with my two little ones too.

Any good Hunting dog even lab going to alot of energy to burn off.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 AM

I have been looking for a Bird/Rabbit/family dog for a few months now... I decided to go with a GSP. I don't get her till jan/feb tho . They are suposed to be great with people, great hunters, but they are very energetic!

I have heard great things about Wirehairs and DD's, a bit less energy around the house than the gsp but die-hard hunters. I was told by a guy that breeds a few different types of bird dogs that Wirehairs only warm up to a few different people and they "aren't very social dogs"? I heard the same thing about Chessies... that they don't warm up to too many people? I guess uplandchessies would know more about that tho?

I have a golden that loves to rabbit hunt, she has a great nose for it but it's a pain to clean here up afterwards. I can't imagine leaving a golden outside tho? They seem to be pretty dependant on the company of people.

I think everyone else may be right... I see a Lab in your future. Good with family, not too high strung and great with kids.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Heard the same about Wirehairs.
I have been blessed to own some great dogs in my life from Brits and Setters to Jack Russells and Border Collies, but I wouldn't trade a one for the Chessie I have. Ajax heard right though. Chessies at least the ones I've had and known are usually one person Dogs, comes with the breed. They were bred for market gunners, a very solitary form of employment. They can also be down right mean to folks they don't like. Best suited for a hunter who hunts 100 days a year minimum or owns his own paradise of marshland and upland.

I see a lab in the future as well, or the right Golden from good stock. Matter of fact make sure the lab comes from good stock. I hunt some GSP and I just don't see the family characteristics.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:44 PM

There are a lot of labs out there and a lot of good ones just make sure that you can see both parents. I have had raised labs for many years but I see more all the time (now I don't breed my own anymore) that have such poor coats that they can't take the cold water or cold weather. I have a little Chessie coming up now. She is very mild in temperment and loves the water. Too many labs nowdays need their own life jacket to keep warm and not fall victim to hypothermia. Leave the lifejackets off or neuter them they don't belong in the gene pool. This my opinion.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 AM

Thecontractor, you do have a tuff decision ahead of you. As a GSP breeder I definately would recommend one. They are family dogs as well as super hunters. They can be high energy but then again some are very mellow. Are you looking to buy a pup or a started dog, this could influence your decision. Remember whatever breed you decide on you have to train, train and then do some more training. Good luck in your search. I'm sure whatever you end up with will be the perfect dog for you and your family.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:37 PM

Quick Reply: searching for new hunting dog please read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.