what breed for.... >

what breed for....

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

what breed for....

Old 11-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what breed for....

I decided to put this topic under both the South Forum and Sporting dog because i figured I would get good suggestions, thoughts, cripes, etc etc on both. I'll be moving to Eastern Texas early next year and I want to get a dog sometime. I was thinking about either a German Short Haired or a Lab. but not having been there in awhile, I don't really know all what is out there in terms of upland birds. Out of the two, what would be the best breed to get? I also plan to go duck hunting as well in the future. Thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM

Default RE: what breed for....

Of the two you listed, I have no Idea. I have a lab and is a good retriever, but I don't think he would be as good at upland hunting. And I think the opposite is true for the pointer.

Since this is the South forum, the dog I would recomend as a do it all dog is the Boykin Spaniel. They will hunt, flush, retrieve, trail, everything.

Check out www.boykinspaniel.com

Our boykin had a much stronger hunting instinct than our Lab. She could also run & swim faster.