Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 1 Year Old Visla training troubles. >

1 Year Old Visla training troubles.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

1 Year Old Visla training troubles.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:24 AM

Default 1 Year Old Visla training troubles.

Please be patient this might be long.

I bought her from Aspen Gun dogs in Holyoke, CO one year ago this month. She goes to work with me every day, and is proficient in whoa, come, and kennel. She was fetching until about May of this year, and all of a sudden could care less. I took her to a trainer for a professionals point of view, and some suggestions, and training pointers. He said she is very intense, and obedient. We put her on some Bob Whites, and she pointed them, gave chase, and actually caught one as they were molting at the time, and weren't flying too well. I bought 500 quail last year as well, and stocked our ranch with them in hopes to increase the population of which about 50 of them were released by the barn, and chicken coupe. These birds ate and slept with the chickens, and were regulars around the barn for a few months. She hunted them religously rarely stopping to point them. Of course the season was a ways off so I never shot any. Last weekend I went dove hunting, and took her with me. I figured she might have some interest in fetching, and finding real birds instead of dummies. I have shot around her quite a bit, and she never seemed to care, but while dove hunting last week I pulled the trigger and downed a bird; looked around only to notice the top of her head in the front seat of the truck. She has been in heat for the last week, and seems to be acting differently. I am totally mixed up as to what to do. I amd to the point of maybe having her professionally trained. I think somehow I have screwed up a good thing, and am hoping for some sound advice from someone with some good experience.

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: 1 Year Old Visla training troubles.

You havent said if the dog was hunted prior to your dove hunting experience?.If not I'd say you made a slight whoops since she had not been introduced to the gun before your hunting adventure.If she had been hunted prior its something you'll need to look at more in depth and why she bolted when the shot was fired.I'd need to know more before I can reply father.

Also I'd like to point something out.Taking a pointing breed dog dove hunting can be done,however certain problems can occur from just having the dog sit till the shot and fetch.Teaching a pointing breed to fetch a fallen bird before a point is established often leads to the dog busting and catching birds.I personally experienced this with my female pointers,a solid all around dog.After 3 dove hunts and grouse and pheasant season was open,she'd point briefly then CHARGE right in,this never happened until I took her dove hunting and just to RETRIEVE.It was easily corrected with some checkcord work on birds, but a problem never the less.So its just my personal opinion,leave the pointing dogs home when your dove hunting and save yourself the potential problem.Take care,Jackson..
Old 09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Spike

I'm sorry.After re reading your post I'm making the assumpation the dog hasnt been introduced to the gun properly and thats probably why you had what happen,happen.If thats the case let me know.I have broken dogs from gunshyness and can tell you some steps to try to correct it before you seek and have to pay for professional help.Take care,Jackson..
Old 09-17-2004, 06:16 AM

Your absolutely right Jackson.
I spoke to Rich Cummings the breeder I purchased her from yesterday. He also starts, and finishes dogs for people. He said the exact same thing. I did introduce her to the gun when she was about two months old, and she did not seem to mind, but as yourself, and Rich have said it was not proper introduction. Problem #2 he said is she needs to be worked in controlled conditions over birds for at least once a day for a month. This to show her just what, how, and when everything is supposed to happen. I.E. the point, whoa, flush, and then the shot. He said a pointer will become confused when hunting incoming birds it hasn't seen, and then bang!!!. She doesn't realize what just happend, and it startled her. As I wrote before she has been introduced to the birds, and even the gun, but IMO not the right way in the right order. I am open to any suggestions you might have. Rich is willing to take her in December for a month to work her "right" for $450.00. Either that or I will need to start raising pigeons, and I honestly know nothing about how to aquire, or take care of them.

Thanks a million!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Spike

Y2.I thought that was the case.Pigeons dont take much care.Get yourself a trap and trap a few.It doesnt have to be great numbers,if you have a place you can trap them regularly,just a few at a time will be fine.If you dont know where to get a trap let me know I'll post a site or the number where you can buy training supplies.

My advice is the same really.Get the dog into some birds,if pigeons are hard to come by quail will certainly work.You want to do exactly what your breeder suggested.Set the birds out and in controled training sessions advance slowly.Let the dog find a few first to rebuild confidence.At this point I would not worry about keeping the dog steady to wing and shot,rather let the dog point,you or a helper flush the bird and then just let the dog chase a few to really fire the desire back into the dog.

Once the dog seems to have its burning desire back to find birds,it may take just a few birds or it may take several,but once your comfortable with the dogs adjustment back at finding birds,I then let the dog find and point and when the bird is flushed let the dog take after it in HOT pursuit.When the dog is hot on the trail and a good distance away is when you want to introduce your blank gun,or light ga shotgun if thats permitted during training where you live.With the dog hot on the chase many never even hear the shot.If the dog does respond to the shot and STOP the chase,just pretend nothing happened and keep walking till the dog settles but DONT fire another shot that training session.If the dog doesnt hear the shot and still chases,you can then try again.Depending on the dogs response these drills can work quickly or can take quite a bit longer,the key being stay with it.If the dog spooks at the shot,try again another day.

During these drills be certain to make sure your always checking the dogs reaction to the shot.Since you mention the breeder said the dog shows intensity I think you will have good luck and progress over time,how long will determine on the dog of course.Its when dogs spook from the shot and then show no intrest in birds is where it gets much tougher.Good luck,If I can help more just let me know.Take care,Jackson...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:05 PM

Jackson;

Thank you!!!
This entire site is chock full of knowlegable people. You are no exception, and I find it very helpful to have second opinions from individuals such as yourself. Too bad the rest of this great nation can't seem to mesh the way our hunting community does. I will take your advise, and let all know of the progress.

Thank You Sincerely
Old 09-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Spike

Y2.No problem,glad to help.If you need the number for training supplies let me know.If your going to use other birds thats fine too,but if you need supplies let me know I'll give info for a good place with tons of dog stuff from to a to z.

Feel free to email me if desire.I'll be glad to assist anyway I can.Good luck with the dog and keep me posted along the way.Take care,Jackson

[email protected]
Old 09-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Y2, Jackson has given you some good advice. One thing I might add is you didn't say how old this pup is. From what I can gather in you post is it's a little over a year old. If so I would be careful how much presure you put on it when training. Viszla muture slower than a lot of other breeds, so you need to take things a little slower and let them be pups longer. I see you bought the pup in Colorado. Are you from Colorado?

Terry
Old 09-23-2004, 11:38 AM

Elk;
She is right at 1 year old, and does still seem a bit soft, but I baby the heck out of her. I did buy her from CO. but I actually live in Fort Worth, TX. The breeder has a great facility, with a lot of good dogs under his belt, and acres upon acres of hunting ground. That's why I went with him. Anyways I am going to take it easy on her, and see what happens. I found a great place for catching the pigeons right here at my shop. We have a flock that comes here pretty regular. Now if I can just convince them to get into the cage.

Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Spike

Y2.Try using whole kernel corn.You can get 10lb bags at just about any local feed store.Spread the corn around the outside and then add some into the middle of the cage.Dont spread a lot on the outside and that usually makes them go in the cage for more food.If the birds are shy going into the cage you can also tie the 'bob's' up so the birds can just walk right in,of course this wont catch any but builds their confidence to go in after the food.2-3 days of the cage entrance open then close it and go back to baiting around and in the cage again and it should draw the birds right in the trap for you.Good luck keep us posted.Take care,Jackson..