HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1 Year Old Visla training troubles.
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Jackson_q
Spike

Default RE: 1 Year Old Visla training troubles.

Y2.I thought that was the case.Pigeons dont take much care.Get yourself a trap and trap a few.It doesnt have to be great numbers,if you have a place you can trap them regularly,just a few at a time will be fine.If you dont know where to get a trap let me know I'll post a site or the number where you can buy training supplies.

My advice is the same really.Get the dog into some birds,if pigeons are hard to come by quail will certainly work.You want to do exactly what your breeder suggested.Set the birds out and in controled training sessions advance slowly.Let the dog find a few first to rebuild confidence.At this point I would not worry about keeping the dog steady to wing and shot,rather let the dog point,you or a helper flush the bird and then just let the dog chase a few to really fire the desire back into the dog.

Once the dog seems to have its burning desire back to find birds,it may take just a few birds or it may take several,but once your comfortable with the dogs adjustment back at finding birds,I then let the dog find and point and when the bird is flushed let the dog take after it in HOT pursuit.When the dog is hot on the trail and a good distance away is when you want to introduce your blank gun,or light ga shotgun if thats permitted during training where you live.With the dog hot on the chase many never even hear the shot.If the dog does respond to the shot and STOP the chase,just pretend nothing happened and keep walking till the dog settles but DONT fire another shot that training session.If the dog doesnt hear the shot and still chases,you can then try again.Depending on the dogs response these drills can work quickly or can take quite a bit longer,the key being stay with it.If the dog spooks at the shot,try again another day.

During these drills be certain to make sure your always checking the dogs reaction to the shot.Since you mention the breeder said the dog shows intensity I think you will have good luck and progress over time,how long will determine on the dog of course.Its when dogs spook from the shot and then show no intrest in birds is where it gets much tougher.Good luck,If I can help more just let me know.Take care,Jackson...