Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

parvo........killer

Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 PM

Default parvo........killer

i have four coonhound pups ...2 females and 2 males.......yesterday two of them was acting sick.....today they are almost dead....we are giving them gatorade for dehydration.....the two males are doing good but the females are doing bad......i hope they pull this out they have had all there parvo shots to......the females are not eating,drinking water,just sitting around and they are skin and bones.....if ya'll have pups make sure you give them parvo shots........i will let ya'll know if they make it......one female is already treeing the best out of the litter...but she is realy sick
Old 09-21-2004, 05:45 AM

Default RE: parvo........killer

are you sure it's parvo? check for whip and hook worms,not saying your not worming them. some times the med. just doesn't get them all.
skin and bones doesn't sound like parvo.it usually just makes them sick them die.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:48 AM

When my chocolate lab was 12 weeks old he got parvo...and he had had all of his shots too.

He was listless and had the runs (sorry to be gross, but it looked like chocolate milk).

The most important thing is keeping them hydrated. We ended up rushing him to the local "emergency room" for pets...he did survive, but only after a week stay at the vet's.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:39 PM

well my coonhounds are gonna pull it out they are now getting over it.....boy them females was in bad shape....but i got bad news i have a 16 month old female beagle...she has had all of her shots....parvo hit her she died in 24 hour period could not believe it.....lost a good young dog........i hope parvo don't hit all of my young dogs....
Old 09-23-2004, 03:33 PM

Make sure you are using a good vaccine when vaccinating for parvo!! the stuff you can buy at Farm and Home, etc, is not good enough!! Furthermore, pups need vaccinated at 6, 9, and 12 weeks of age (or something similar). In our clinic we use Progard- I think Intervet makes it. As soon as I put in the 3rd shot I will guarantee the dog against parvo- and so will the manufacturer. we have only had 1 dog that got parvo after the 3rd shot, and the company paid for the bill. That dog really didnt get all that sick, either, but it was sick enough!!