Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 When To Start Training My Lab. >

When To Start Training My Lab.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When To Start Training My Lab.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:15 PM

Default When To Start Training My Lab.

Hey All ,
I got a 8 week Old Female Choc. Lab . i Get her out of her Pen about 2 Hours everyday or i at Least Try to , I kinda Got a Tight Shec. Right now. So id that Enough. I have Learned her to Sit and working on the Stay Part. And i need a Question when Should i start gettin Her into Retrieve ??? I tried the Other Day but see Just wants to Play. She is Really Smart. Any Info Would greatly Help me out I am New at this Cause my Old Yellow Lab Puppy Got Stolen When he was 8 months Old He was Smart and My Very Best Friend Wish he was Here miss Him So Much ... Thanks ALot All
MallardSlayer04
Aka. Travis
" If It Flys , It Dies "
" Once your Flying South For the Winter , BOOM next your Gravy "[8D]
" Become One with Nature ....... Then Marinate It !!! "[>:]
Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When To Start Training My Lab.

ALL of your questions (+ many others) will all be answered in a good training book.

There is no way to tell you on a forum how to train a dog - - - we can help if you run into problems, but you need to get a GOOD TRAINING BOOK
Old 01-30-2004, 07:49 AM

Doc E can you provide the information on a good training book and where on the Net someone can go to get it?

Thanks Jason
Old 01-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Evan Graham's books, "Smartworks I", "Smartworks II" and "SmartFetch" are all available through Mark Jamsa at www.coonriverkennels.com

Or you can order them straight from the author at www.rushcreekpress.com
Old 01-31-2004, 08:09 AM

everyone is right on -- get a book i like game dog by walters
untill you get a book and have read it twice there are two things i'll tell you

1 spend as much time with the pup as you can (make time! ) you guys need to bond

2 let the puppy be a puppy you wouldn't try to teach a toddler long division right just have fun with her. she wont be cute and little for long. enjoy it while you can
Old 02-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Travis......keep on playing with and enjoying your pup......at this point (age) you are laying the foundation for the training that will come down the road. For now....keep it fun and develop the bond with your pup! Introduce him to birds....(clipped wings) play fetch with him...etc...etc....let him play around in the fields.....take him to the water (if you are somwhere warm) and like Doc said...get yourself a good training book and stick to it step by step. Too many folks buy all the books and skip over certain things and they usually run into problems down the road by doing so.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Old 02-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Good advice. Another good book is "The 10 Minute Retriever" by Dahl. I have that one, Smartwork, and Tri-Tronics. Wouldn't hurt to get all three, don't you writers love that.