Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Age to start training

Old 02-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Spike

Default Age to start training

I' ve got a new black lab. I named him Jackson. He' s 7 1/2 weeks old. He' s got a great temperment. I want to train him to be my duck hunting companion. I' ve never trained a dog before. So I need to know what age to start him at. I heard 12 weeks. Also, if anyone knows any good training materials they would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2003, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Age to start training

A good age to start training is right now! Train the pup to love you and want to please you. Just kiding. I have a 15 month old Lab from high energy breeding. I tried the approach of Richard Walters, Water Dog etc., and found that with my pup being my first dog as far as training to hunt, I do not have the time Mr. Walters must have had. He has very good advice in a lot of areas. I have found for me that reading a lot of different books and watching a lot of videos (both available at your public library for free) and being selective as to what my dog responed to that worked best for me. My opinion is that unless you are a professional trainer, take all the advice you can get and only use what works for you and your pup. Good luck and remember 2 things... your pup/dog NEEDS your love and the better the bond between you and Fido, the more the dog will strive to please you.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:07 AM

Once te dog recognizes his name. Keep the training sessions very short and fun. Sit, Stay, Come, Heel, and Fetch should be done early before the pup becomes six months old.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

I don' t know about Labs, I' ve only had birddogs. But I don' t really start any formal training until the individual dog is ready. And they pretty much all let you know when that is. Until that time, I just let them be a pup.

Play training can start right away, but pressure is better left until the dog can handle it.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:17 AM

Not sure what Seattlesetters means, but Labs are bird dogs! As for when to start training -- as soon as possible. I actually start before birth. A few years back, Outdoor Life did an article on hunting pregnant females and what affect it had on the offspring. This article was based on studies from Universities and some highly regarded veterinarians.I did this with my female for the sole purpose of producing a hunting dog as good as she is, even though I was told by many not to expect too much. Although it is true that two " great" dogs bred togther do not always produce " great" pups, it worked for me. In addition, I introduced bird wings (pheasant, grouse, woodcock and quail) even before pups eyes were opened. I' m convinced that the earlier you can start a pup, the better. The key is having a well rounded training regimen in place before starting.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:31 AM

The pup is ready now! Hopefully the breeders even gave pup some attention. I also used partial Richard Walters " Water Dog" methods and everything else I could get my hands on. The one that helped me most after reading Water Dog and watching the Water Dog video is the following website. Hope it helps you. It did me. Mojo, my golden, is now a started duck dog. He has one goose hunt under his belt. He just turned one year old. Just do not try to force to much at one time. Keep training shout (10-20 min) and remember the first several months is all about fun training.........No Punishment. I did collar train and force fetch by the way. Good luck and keep asking questions and reading training info. Eventually you and your dog will figure out what each of you wants from the other.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:32 AM

oops.........here is the weppage

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html
Old 03-09-2003, 08:17 AM

Start now. Make the training part of playtime and keep the sessions short and fun for the pup. Reward him with praise and a treat.

You' d be surprised how much they can shine at an early age. I started a Brittney pup once for my ex father-in-law. When he was 9 weeks old, I hid a scented sock in a bush and let the pup outside. As soon as he smelled it he locked on point just like a pro!

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:32 PM

He' s ready. Keep the sessions short, 3-4 retrieves at a session. Keep it fun for him, and he' ll do anything for you. I sure wish I had a lab to train. I love ' em. Best of luck!

critch
Old 03-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Age to start training

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.