Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 when to start training my lab? >

when to start training my lab?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

when to start training my lab?

Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 AM

Default when to start training my lab?

hello all,

this is my first post so hello. my question is: when is it time for me to start training my lab to heel, sit, and stay? she is about six weeks old and is already housetrained( how awesome is that?), but when I put her on the choke chain and leash today trying to train her to heel she fought me forever. It seems like I drug her for a long time, but towards the end she did start keeping pace beside me. She already will follow me and my wife wherever without a leash but i figured we should get her used to a leash at a young age.

Was her fighting me because of her young age or because she hasn't been on a leash hardly at all? Any help will be appreciated.

grace and peace,

j
Old 02-12-2004, 01:00 PM

Default RE: when to start training my lab?

Probably becuase she hasn't been on a leash. It says in one of the books I have to let her wear the leash for a while just by herself but keep and eye on her.

Someone else will have better advise as I don't even have my pup yet.

Good Luck
Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 PM

a choke chain on a 6 wk old puppy is not a good idea. she's a puppy and you have to realize that she isnt going to magically catch on to what ever you want her to do. the best advice i can give is buy a book about labs if you're not a big reader try labs for dummies, it will help alot.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 weeks old and housebroken? How old was the pup when you got her?

Training (un-enforced) begins the day you bring your puppy home.

You need to get some good books ! ! !

Smartworks I and Smartworks II (later on Smartfetch).
Old 02-12-2004, 08:06 PM

i got her about six days ago. she has picked up really fast that she isn't supposed to potty in the house. we've had one accident in the last three days. i consider that to be pretty solid, especially for her age.

based on you guys advice, i think i'll wait a couple of weeks at least to start on the "heel". she seems ready to learn things, but i know that i shouldn't get to fired up and burn her out. i am definitely going to buy a book or two.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Try using a flat collar on her instead of a choker. You may not need the choke collar at all, especially if she is a fast learner. Buy yourself some books and develope a training plan. while you are doing that you should work her on SIT, STAY, and COME. When she is doing these three things flawlessly then you will have the control you need to train her in other commands. Above all, keep the training sessions short, but frequent, and fun, and play alot in between training sessions. Don't forget that she is a puppy. Here's wishing you good luck, and many many years of happiness and good times with your new pal. BY the way, what is her name?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:55 PM

thank you.

her name is cheyenne.

anybody have any feelings about richard wolter's books?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Richard Wolters Books

There are some good points about the books written by Richard Wolters :
They are responsible for more people realizing that, "I can train my dog" than all others put together. They are easy to read. You can end up with a dog that can do the basics of being a hunting dog pretty darned well.

BUT, these books were written over 30 years ago, and training knowledge has come a LONG WAY since then. With the modern training books that are available, you can end up with a dog that will be astounding. The best books available today are based on "Progression Training". That means that everything your dog learns is based on what it has already been taught.

Comparing Wolters to modern books (like Smartwork) is like comparing the amenities that were available on cars 30 years ago to the ameneties that are available on cars today. Would you rather have a car with a heater and wipers only or do you want a car with all of the bells and whistles? There truly IS that much difference.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Doc.....Sure glad you talked me into joining your trainning group last Spring....From what Me and Shooter knew in the beginning....and to what Shooter's able to do now.....I know I'd have never gotten that far if I'd a been trying to do it solo....Hope I'm still invited to join you again every Sunday again this year...