Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 When to start training for hunting? >

When to start training for hunting?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When to start training for hunting?

Old 02-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Default When to start training for hunting?

I was curious as to when you guys start to train your lab for hunting........my pup is pretty smart and is already learning to sit, stay, down, come and just started to do roll over............i want to start some field training of some sort but not sure what to do...........please advise as the first steps toward becoming a good bird dog........thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 06:27 AM

Default RE: When to start training for hunting?

I feel you can start any dog, any age. The trick is when to move the dog on, or backstep, because to much to fast, always pay attention to the dog. Honestly, it will tell you when its ready to go on, you'll see it in he way it acts with the retrieves or in the eyes. How old is the pup, and what have you done as far as retrieve stuff?? Thanks Jonesy
Doc E and wayne 1 will also join in, they are good also, with the retriever stuff. Patience is a key word, and always remember you are teaching. Usually twice, is plenty for the pup on retrieves, you will increase as time goes on, you put them away when they are jacked up, and they will be willing to come bak out and work again. Now this is most, but not all, you just don't want the boredom to set in, and it will help later boogers to occur.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:25 AM

she is only 3 months old and is doing really well with retrieving toys. Her favorite toy is a stuff AKC pheasant. she has been doing good bringing it back to me and is getting better and better at releasing it without a struggle. I was just curious if i should go buy an actual training pheasant toy(one that i can inject scent into and that prevents her from shaking it too much). so my question is what is the first step when training you lab on birds? thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM

What you are doing is just fine, now I personally don't use toys, get a sock and tie some knots in it, or even little puppy bumper. When it goes and pics up bumper or whatever, you want that dog to think that it has done the most greatest thing in the world!! This wil keep it jacked up on this part. game. when it comes in, praise and pet for the retrieve, then ........no listen, take your hand and run down th eoppisite side closest to you, so if the left shoulder is at your knees, go down the right side, right in front of the back leg, there is a piece of loose skin, you can pinch this skin, and at the same time, lets say your right hand is getting the skin, take your left hand and grab the bumper, at the same time, pinch and say drop, and take the bumper out of mouth, as soon as it lets go, quickly pet and love. It will have no idea where that came from, you set it up where the dog is right there, and you can do it all in one motion, practice running your hand, when you feel you can do it, go for it, just relax and enjoy, your gonna be teaching for quite a while, don't over do, everytime it comes to ya, make it sit then pet, if it goes to move, say sit and work it until it sits and doesn't move, when you go to pet. don't worry to much about the sit on the retrieves, that'll come later, you just keep it cming into your lap, or between your legs,this will save more work later. Thanks Jonesy if you got any questions ask, don't worry about other people, you ask!! It will all work out, promise Later Jonesy
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Jonesy,
how do you feel about blowing into a dog's ear? Dog might think you're getting too personal but I did that to my setter and she immediately dropped the toy she was carrying.

I took her up to the fields the other day and she did that running/stop dead/point. I thot, "what the ???, there couldn't be any pheasants now, season ended two months ago." They release birds. So, I walk up and alittle sparrow flies out. Haha, she took off after it and actually kept pace. But, the little sparrow she could smell at around five feet.

Anyhow, still bummed at that fiasco they call the Superbowl.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Man, I hate when they start humping, bumpers and slobbers man it just getsnasty!!Its to much work, you can run the side as a pet, pinch and go right back to the pet, almost blink of an eye. Man don't worry bout the game, you can always upgrade your little pic under your name!! Hahahaha just pickin!!! Later sorry that your team lost. Thanks Jonesy
Old 02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Legacy,
First, you need to get on a good sequential training program and follow it page by page. A good one for the novice trainer (and you will end up with a darned good hunting companion) is the "10 Minute Retriever", by John and Amy Dahl.
As puppies, they need to learn their name, come and sit. "Stay" isn't ever combined with Sit. Sit means 'sit until you are given another command'. You don't need "Sit-Stay".
IMO, 'scents in a bottle' are a waste of money. They don't smell like the real thing. Even our poor crappy human noses can tell the huge difference between real and bottled. There is plenty of scent already on the dummy, and if a dog has a nose, an artificial scent isn't needed.
Paint rollers are a great puppy dummy.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:12 AM

thanks guys.........i think i am going to buy that 10 minute book.........i can't believe how smart and how quick you picks up on new things.........can't wait to start her on real birds but that is still some time away
Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Legacy,
At 3 months of age, it's time to get her on some dead birds and within a month, some live birds (pigeons work very well for young dogs).

Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

You may also want to think about starting them out with a smaller bird like chukars and quail. Pigeons are cheaper, fly back home, and have more scent but depending upon the puppy size, smaller birds won't startle your dog as much whenhe is flushing it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't show any signs of birdiness at a young age. My setter didn't either.She started at 4 mo. or so, more like 5 mo. From showing no interest in birds to being totally head strong about them in about two weeks. But when that switch comes on, the more birds you feed him the more birdiness it's going to show.

Quick Reply: When to start training for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.