Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Hunting dog or family dog >

Hunting dog or family dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hunting dog or family dog

Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Hunting dog or family dog

I am getting a lab i would like a hunting partner and a pet. This will be a mainly outside dog. I have a big fenced in yard and a small pin 25' 25" which should i keep it in. Should i keep it in there to instill disipline and just take it out for training. Or what should i do. Also when i first get it should i let every body touch it or and throw balls to it or what do u susgest for the first few weeks.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Hunting dog or family dog

Willbjew, please, go out and find yourself a nice training program. Whether it be Dahl, Graham, Knutson, Lardy, Wolters, etc... follow their advice. In my opinion, too many people buy dogs first and plan last. Reverse this! have a set game plan in mind as to where you want to go with this dog and how you'll get there, then do what many still don't...Follow the plan!

Also, a dog is not put away so it can exercise. That must come from you. No need for a huge kennel, just a simple 5 by 10 foot run would be just fine!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:27 PM

which of these books are the best and where can i get one.-
Old 12-19-2003, 10:22 PM

Will, you've opened a can of worms here. You're going to get a myriad of opinions.
I've been around Labs since I was 3 years old. I've trained some and sold them and I've trained some to keep. I think the most important thing about a lab is affection. Keep your pup with you as much as possible. Use love, affection and praise to train it, and never snacks or treats.
I don't know which book would be the best (I've never used one) but you might try Amazon.com to find one of the above mentioned books. Maybe you could call a local breeder/trainer for book advice.
One big thing about training, is to teach your dog good manners, as well as retrieving. You're going to spend a lot of hours in a blind together. You don't want an uncontrollable dog disrupting the hunt.
Best of luck, and have a wonderful time with your new friend.

critch
Old 12-20-2003, 11:24 AM

Will, here are some books from Amazon.com. There are many more.
Good luck!

critch
Training Your Labrador Retriever by September B. Morn, Pam Tanzey (Illustrator) (Paperback - January 2000)
Books: See all 1,025 items
Buy new: $9.56 Used & new from $8.47 Usually ships in 24 hours
• Excerpt from page 2: "... first started calling these dogs Labrador Retrievers, but the name began in ..."
See more references to Training Labrador Retrievers in this book.

Labrador Retrievers For Dummies® by Joel Walton (Author), Eve Adamson (Author) (Paperback - September 2000)
Buy new: $11.19 Used & new from $9.25 Usually ships in 24 hours
• Excerpt from page 2: "... Finding and Living with a Labrador Retriever In this ... dart /I/: Training Your Lab with the MRE ..."

Sponsored Links: What's this?
Retriever Book - CD-ROM -- Aprox. 600 pages of retriever info incl. text, photos, diagrams, video -- http://w8n4dux.com/welcome.htm

Easily Train Your Dog -- Puppies or adult dogs - any breed. Will solve your problems. aff. -- DogProblems.com

The Labrador Retriever Handbook (Barron's Pet Handbook) by Audrey Pavia (Paperback - November 2000)
Buy new: $9.56 Used & new from $5.49 Usually ships in 24 hours
• Excerpt from page 90: "... of learning is the reward. Labrador Retrievers are especially receptive to positive reinforcement, and the training methods described in this book ..."

Art of Raising a Puppy, The by New Skete Monks (Author) (Hardcover - March 1991)
Buy new: $17.47 Used & new from $11.98 Usually ships in 24 hours
• Excerpt from page 132: "... thought of leaving him for training ... Well ... a seven-month-old Labrador retriever, who was just completing a ..."

How to Train Your Labrador Retriever (Tr-103) by Liz Palika (Hardcover - November 1998)
Buy new: $9.95 Used & new from $6.92 Usually ships in 2 to 3 days

Guide to Owning a Labrador Retriever: Puppy Care, Retrieving, Training, History, Health, Breed Standard (Re Dog Series) by Richard T. Burrows (Paperback - March 1996)
Buy new: $7.95 Used & new from $1.98 Usually ships in 2 to 3 days
Old 12-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

The three Books I hear mentioned the most as good ones are "Smartwork" by Evan Graham Vol I and II, "10 Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl, and "Tri Tronics Retriever Training". Avoid the Wolters series. A dog is a social animal, personly I advise to keep the dog inside as much as possible.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

first things first-if it is possible to keep this dog inside instead of outside, do it. You need to make this new dog your best buddy, the only way that will happen is if you spent as much time in each others company as possible. If you have to keep him kenneled outside then you still need to spent as much time as possible out there with him.Some guys will disagree with me but it has been my experience that the dog you allow to be part of your family,the dog you interact with every day, the dog you play with and bond with, will also be the dog that is easiest to train and control, in the field. My lab is my best friend first, and because of this I am fortunate to have a very well behaved dog who hunts for me, hikes and camps with me, and is always the one constant that I can count on when I need a friend.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:27 PM

willbjew,

I have a three year old blond lab, he is an inside dog so he can be apart of the family and build a relationship with you as quickly as possible. Good Luck,

Sean