Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog Training Collars

Old 06-15-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Dog Training Collars

I' m interested in trying a training collar (shock collar) for my lab pup (8 mos old).

I' m looking at TriTronics Sport 60 and an Innotek ADV300. Can anyone tell me the differences in the two companies and collars and more importantly what I need to look for in a dog training collar.

So far I can only tell that the TriTronics is about $259 and the Innotek is about $149. Is one clearly superior to the other???

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Dog Training Collars

Not sure about the TriTronics brand, but I bought the Innotek ADV300 a year ago and have no complaints with it. I was amazed at how long the battery lasted before needing recharged. The first charge lasted a couple months! I think that 300 yards is plenty of range for waterfowl retrievers. Keep in mind that the transmitter is only water resistant.......not water proof.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:50 AM

I picked up the adv 300 this Christmas and sent it back 2 weeks later. I have Innotek beepers and have been happy with them but my adv 300 was inconsistent. It would only transmit some of the time. I talked this over with several pro and amateur trainers and they told me of similar experiences. IMHO - I would avoid the Innotek.[X(]
Old 06-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont really care much for shock collars nor know the names of the brands but i know there is one that actually vibrates rather then give an electric shock. I had a friend who used one on his dog and the pup didnt cry in pain or flinch when the button was hit. I will ask him what kind it is when i talk to him last. I think it' ll be better and less likely to scare the dog of going out and enjoy itself.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Tri-tronics is the superior product.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:00 AM

UPDATE:

Shortly after this post I purchased the ADV300 from Innotek since it was on sale locally. What I found out is exactly what Lking described. It seemed I could only signal the dog when she was about 30-40 yds away and then the transmitter worked only intermittently. I switched new batteries in the transmitter and had similar results.

There are some things that I like about the Innotek (changeable prong length, postive post charging system, etc.) but it was way to inconsistent for my taste. I returned it and purchased the TriTronics Sport 60.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had followed it sooner!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:49 PM

If your dog is squealing or crying out in pain your setting is WAY TO HOT!!!! [:@] I have a TT 500XL Two Dog.....I have no complaints at all.

Tri-Tronics is the way to go!!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 02:14 PM

tri tronics is the best.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:43 PM

I'm having same problem not seeming to work all the time theInnotekADV 300
am selling it.would like suggestions on other makes thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Innotek is junk. They may be cheaper, but they throw craps after a few years. Also the features cannot compare with Tri-Tronics. I have a TT Flyway Special and I have not a single complaint. The large buttons allow for use with gloves on, 18 different momentary levels, and 6 continuous levels(all. No antenna on the collar either. Both units are completely waterproof. Changeable prong length.

You made a good choice with the Sport. For upland hunting and price, they are top notch.