Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training collars

Old 10-06-2003, 09:09 PM

Default training collars

I am looking for some reviews on electric training collars. I want to use it to train my lab for water retrieving. Their are so many choices it is hard to know which one to get. Please offer your experience and thoughts.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:21 PM

Default RE: training collars

I use a Tritronics 60 because it has a buzzer that I can use instead of a shock. I always used the buzzer before anything else and soon did not have to use a mild shock. Eventually I retired it altogether.

Please check with an expert before using an e-collar as you could ruin your dog if not properly used.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:03 PM

n2,

I tried the Innotek and didn' t have much luck so I returned it and went to a TriTronics. Like star1pup said, you really should talk to professional or good amatuer trainers about using the electric collars before you make a decision. Misuse of the e-collar will ruin a dog. Also, if you get recommendations from them be sure to ask if they are a sponsored by or a dealer of that collar. I would only buy one that had a praise tone on it.

Good Luck
Old 10-17-2003, 04:57 PM

Both of you guys are giving very good advice. Just throwing an e-collar on your dog won' t turn it into the next Elhew Snakefoot. Sound training principles still have to be practiced regardless of how you correct and/or praise your pooch.

Personally, I bought the 2-dog cabela' s unit (made by innotek) based on a family members employee discount. So far, I have been very happy with it. It has a 1000 yd. range and 30 stim settings. Previously, I had tri-tronics and disliked it' s cumbersome transmitter and poor quality batteries. Just an opinion...

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Thank you all for the advice and preferences, I really appreciate your knowledge. I agree, a good dog can easily be broke if a collar is used incorrectly.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve used or have had training partners use everything out there and for hunting/training purposes, I will only buy Tri-Tronics or Dogtra collars.

Without question Tri-Tronics has the best customer service of any e-collar manufacturer...they will turn around any repair in two days. Their products are pretty reliable, but I' ve had to use their repair shop a couple of times and they were more than accomodating and very fast.

I really can' t tell you how good Dogtra' s customer service is...I don' t know anyone who has ever had a problem with one of their collars. This includes one large-scale commercial kennel that has used hundreds of their products over a three year period.

I think you would be very happy with either Tri-Tronics or Dogtra.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:58 AM

Thank you for the vote of confidence in both the Dogtra and Tri-tronics. Those were the two choices I had narrowed it down to. I am deciding between the Tri-tronics Sport 60 or the Dogtra 1200 with the npc.

Do you have any preferences as to the stimulation options, like the nick, paging, etc. I like the idea of the tone as well.

The fact that the transmitter and receiver is water proof is the nice thing about the Dogtra. But should that realistically be an issue?
Old 10-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

My own preferences may be quite different from yours...so take this with a grain of salt. I normally hunt HUGE, wide-open spaces where you can literally see for miles. I let my dogs get out quite a bit farther than most hunters are comfortable with (200 yards is close ranging to me, 600 yards is OK as long as the dog is hunting for me and not itself).

For me, the collar is something that is rarely used other than to keep the dog from running trash or to enforce known commands (if the dog is close enough to me to hear them). As such, I use mostly momentary stimulation (nick) and use continuous stimulation only in the instance if the dog is strongly distracted (by a rabbit or deer) or in danger (a road or a rattlesnake). I do use low-level continuous on younger dogs to help with commands such as " kennel" and I also use it around the dog' s flank in the latest stages of " whoa" training. I don' t use tones or paging features at all. I want a collar with a true 1-mile range because I actually need it...that is my main criteria for selection. I also must have waterproof equipment...I live in Seattle.

That being said, if you feel a need for such features, and the waterproof transmitter is important to you, you have already made your choice...The Dogtra 1200 NPC is a great piece of equipment and you will be very happy with it.