Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training collars

Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Training collars

Lost my hunting partner two weeks ago to complications of Lyme, 8 1/2 year old Ryman/Old Hemlock setter. Best friend ever had and can't replace him, but will be getting another pup this spring. Didn't put a lot of training into the first guy, never used a collar, but will probably pick one up for the pup. Any pref's on makes/models? Best age to begin electronic collar training? Would prefer the beeper collar combo as I hunt some pretty thick cover. Any info appreciated.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:17 AM

Default RE: Training collars

Hi there i have been using Tri Tronics collars for the last 5 years and have never had any problems they have all the options and are the best in the industry i currently have a pro 500, and a field 90 model one for each dog.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM

The Pro 500 isa nicetrainer but pretty pricey for my budget. [:'(]I'm sure the quality supports the cost. I was thinking around the $250 mark for atrainer and a hundred or so for the beeper.How many years can one expect from a battery? Also, what's the best age to begin using a trainer on a pup?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Yes the pro 500 hundred is a little pricey, but i think the field 70 or 90 is under $300, they are both very good to. I think the best time to start is at 6-9 months you dont want to start to early. Your dog should know its basic commands before you introduce the ecollar.
thanks David
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

An ecollar is an investment for the life of your dog.
Spend the bucks and get the TriTronics Pro 500.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM

I have one from Lion Country Supply. Trainer, launcher and beeper combined. Its on sale for $149 right now. Another hunter had one on his dog and recommended it. I like it and have no complaints.
http://www.lcsupply.com/
Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Take a look at the Tri-Tronics Upland G3 - Small transmitter - beeper can be shut off or on at the transmitter, and gives you the range you will need. And is expandalbe if you ever get another dog.

Also is under 300 bucks

AND rumor has it that TT is coming out with a Tracking/Beeper/Training collar all in one.

I do run the Garmin Satro on my dogs and was not disapointed least one bit. Worked flawlessly inthe grouse woods. Most times the TT Beeper when on point the Garmin Atro gave the direction to head in as I am hearing impaired. And most times it was behind me!
JW
Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Spike

I would definitely wait on the E collar until they are at least 9 months old. Some dogs would be ruined if you used a collar on them. My last dog followed commands very well but even at the low settings I think the E collar would have been more force than it would have tolerated. In any case the dog was very obedient and never had a collar on its neck. I think the same will be true for my current dog.

As far asa beep collar, I think it is a great investment and absolutely needed.I am not opposed to E collars and they are incredible training aids when used properly. I have seen them used where the dog has no idea what they are being zapped for so the dog never really learned what to do to avoid being zapped. I used one on my lab and after a time all I had to do was hit the tone button and the dog would follow the command. It really was rare that I had to hit the shock button.

I had tritronics and it worked great.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Spike

I use and really like the Sport Dog models. Currently am using the 3200 four dog mdel with a 2 mile range. Works great!! A nice thing about them is the electrodes can be taken out without the unit falling off. Theat way you don't do damage to the neck after prolonged use. They will still give them a zap when needed.

I have used a e collar on pups as young as 6 months. When used correctly it is a great tool. To many people over use them, and in lieu of proper training. Biggest thing is to let them wear them for a couple of weeks before using to get used to them, and not associate them with the shock.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Spike

I think Steve has it right. You really need to know how to use the collar correctly which is more important than which collar I would think. Used correctly they are a great training aide. Used wrong and you either get no results or a dog that is worse than when you started using it. I think if I even tried using one on my last dog, he would never leave my side. If you even got harsh with him it would be a while before he would get back into the hunt. My Lab it was not a big deal and insured my commands were followed.

Quick Reply: Training collars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.