Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 took my dogs out for the first time... >

took my dogs out for the first time...

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

took my dogs out for the first time...

Old 04-23-2003, 10:11 PM

Default took my dogs out for the first time...

Hey guys...Last Saturday night, I took my dogs out for the first time since I got them. They' re registered Blue-ticks out of Rambo II. The bloodlines are pretty good, too...here' s the story:

After we let the dogs go, we walked around our pond with no luck. We went down towards the creek bottoms and we had just crossed the property line when our male dog located. we walked across the road and down into the bottoms on that side and crossed back onto our land. We found the dog on a sapling about 2" thick...and sho nuff...he treed a possum. How can I break him of this? He' s also been wanting to pull against the lead when I walk him...is this normal? is there anyway to break him of this?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:54 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: took my dogs out for the first time...

How old are the dogs? I trash break my hounds with an electric collar. You need to be careful with it though, you can ruin a timid dog with one. As far as the pulling on the lead, put the dog on a long leash and half hitch the lead around the dogs belly, just in front of the back legs. When the dog pulls it will pinch him and he won' t like it. The first few times he will likely roll around and throw a fit, bite the leash, let him do it. Don' t pull on it, let him do the pulling. It won' t take him long to figure it out.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:01 PM

mez, I feel like I' m following you around this site and telling everybody you give good advice. Good work, bud. I' ll try that half hitch thingy myself. Thank you!

critch
Old 04-29-2003, 09:33 PM

I trained my wimeriner with little pregedice and good love. But my uncle would take whatever the dog would chase( not birds) and tie them tohis muzzle for hours. He