Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Funny dog stories

Old 11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Funny dog stories

I thought maybe this would be an good post since i saw one about funny hunting stories so i figured why not talk about funny stories about you dog(s). Doesn't have to be just hunting though. I have three that in mind but i'll try to keep all short.

1st one - An usuallly dry in the summertime river bank. There was an large pool around some rocks that is usually an ''waterfall". It was probably about 40 feet across and only 3 feet deep. I only had my then puppy (GSP)for two days. I thought it would be good for him to learn the world so my then girlfriend (now ex thank god) and I went there. I decided to go wade out to cool off. I'm right in the middle and i could hear Casie saying "traz, get back here!" and I turned around and there was Traz, he was barely not even 10 weeks old. I told him good boy for swimming and picked him up and took him back to the land. I waded back out and sure enough ,he followed. Casie was mad because he wouldn't listen, and honestly I don't think he liked her because the only time i ever heard him growl atan person was her

2nd- Traz loved sliding on my mom's hardwood kitchen. I bought him one of those big pillow like bones with squeaker in the middle. He loved playing fetch so I threw it in the kitchen. He pounced it with his front paws and slide about 4 feet. Well apparently he liked it because everytime he would run into the kitchen, it would slide on his frontpaws, including every time i went over to my parent house, after his first licking and sniffing of my parents, he would head to the kitchen and do his little slide

3rd - I took Traz pheasant hunting at ranch (keep in mind this place was huuuuuuuge) for the first and last time because of the outragous hunters's actions out there. He never seen an phesant before so he didn't know what he was looking for. Few hours in, he missed this one hen (you could shoot hen since it was farmed raised). When he heard me shot but couldn't mark where the bird landed, he would look at me while i pointed directions. He found the bird, stopped, looked at it, and did his first point on a pheasant with his nose literally two inches away
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funny dog stories

come on owners, don't be shy
Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

One day my dog Rebel( gsp/lab cross)and I were sitting in the ice shanty spearing pike. Reb was watching the pinned sucker swim around just under the ice when all of the sudden out of no where this big Northern hit it and kept going. reb went in after it and the current (river)got ahold of him and swept him under the ice. I was realupset and busted out of the ice house walking towards my buddys shanty. Just about that time he come flying out of there headed for the bank at a high speed run screaming his head off. I looked in his shanty and see Rebel trying to climb out his ice hole LOL. Steve said "All I saw comming out of my hole was lips and teeth!" LMAO. Cheer Rich
Old 12-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

I was 13 and training my white GSP on planted quail with dad (first time the pup was on birds I might add). Can't quite recall when it was but I'm guessing it was July or Auguest. We had planted some quail in an alfalfa field (definitely not the best cover for that time of yearbut it was the best we had to work with at the time). Anyways there was a bean field about 50yds away from where we planted thequail. We started him in the direction of the birds, then came along a few Monarch Butterflies floating through the sky. This dog was CRAZY about anything that was in the air...birds, bees, planes, etc. etc.....absolutely bird crazy. Anyways, he saw the butterflies and was determined to get them. Chased them to the beanfield and as the butterflies were flying over the field we could see a head and ears flopping up and down about every 10ft through the beans. We were a little mad and dissapointed at the time but looking back on it now that he's gone, it was one of the funniest things. He turned into a fabulous birddog with one helluva a nose! I truely miss hunting behind him.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM

ok, I've got a funny one for you...

Last summer I was training a black lab pup and we were to the water retrive portion of training. I have a small pond on my property that I use for this work and I start out with a bumper in the shallows...enough for them to get thier feet wet. Well I threw the bumper a little too far out one time and I used a cattail to pull it back in closer. After throwing a couple land retrieves I tossed the bumper back in the water...the dog looked a the bumper and looked back at me, ran over and picked up a cattail and brought it to me.

Too damn smart for his own good...lol!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 AM

this year i was hunting with my friend at this duck club his dad and my dad belonged to. we were walking fro pheasents and a rabbit jumped and ran right into my dog, i geuss my dog saw something move a lowered her chest and the rabitt ran into her. and then went around after the dog was looking around likewas that?!?! . we started to crack up
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM

I had a yellow lab buddy for 14-1/2 years. He was a maniac. I finally wrote a book about the hardhead, still miss that dude. If anyone is interested here's a link to the book/blog: http://bunkiestory.blogspot.com/. It's free and I think that you'll find the hunting parts interesting,maybe even a little funny,especially chapters 8 & 9. He was a great companion and we had lots of good times.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Rich Baker, I'm still laughing on that one.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Just call us the owners of the unwanted here. The most recent fun thing here. Husband took up coon hunting with a bow. He was always the shooter. 3 other guys had the dogs. Well, one night we get a call from one guy asking if we were interested in getting a walker, cause they know of oneavailable. The previous owner tried trading him for a light. Well, after a no go on the trade, the dog was destined to be shot in the next few hours. After an hour drive, we were the proud owners of Coslow. BIG walker. More like a big licker!! Had a regal personality to him though. I was forbidden to "pet" on this dog. He is a hunting dog...(this coming from my husband) OK, I never listen, but anyway. We buy all the gear, tracking system, shock collars, the whole deal. After about 6 runs with the guys...this dog CAN HUNT. The dog, I swear, climbed a dang tree over the swamp to tree. They call him a meat dog, cause he will strike, but boy, he's fewand far between on the tracking.We decided to shoot one out for him, let him go in for the kill. He did great, til he got bit on the nose. Now, he has learned to corner the coons before they even get to a tree and hold them til we get there. He is almost like a cat with prey. He only uses his paws, refuses to stick his face anywhere near a critter. When we walk up, he just sits back and poses, kinda like "well, there he is ...handle it!" We now own his sister, which is completely vicious. Kills fast, but she loves to tree holes. I can now say that in our hunting group, these 2 unwanted dogs, have been hunting like pros, beating every dog around. And yep, I still go out and pet them, and spoil them rotten. (what can you expect from a girl who used to take her grandfathers rabbit beagles for rides in the wagon)
Old 12-22-2006, 06:53 PM

k