Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hounds

Old 12-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Hounds

I know I have posted many diferent types of dogs I'd like on here but hear me out. I'd like to know if a hound could track cougars, tree coons, run rabbits, point for pheasent, grouse and partrage, and retrieve. Are there any other breeds that can do this or any other specific hounds?
thanks mallard
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hounds

I know there is some bird dogs that have been trained to hunt grouse and coyotes here. But, myself I would not be trying to hunt all these things with one dog. I would think it would probably confuse the dog as to which you want him/her to hunt. I am also not sure if a hound will even point as they tend to chasethe game you are after. Just my opion for whatever it is worth.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 AM

never seen a hound point. for that much different game you will need several dogs
Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kurdog

never seen a hound point. for that much different game you will need several dogs
Same thoughts here!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:14 PM

so probalbly have retriever and a hound would that be good? Ya know retriever well retrieves and points and the hound trees coons runs and tracks?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

My hound will retrieve Phesant and doves even had her get a few ducks at a training day but I would not even think about trying to get her to point, to hardheaded. I have seen what some people have gone through to get a bird dog to point. The nearest breed to what you drescribed would be a Deutsch Drahthaar. Here is an examle http://www.vommoorehaus.com/index2.htm
Old 12-24-2006, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: mallard stalker

I know I have posted many diferent types of dogs I'd like on here but hear me out. I'd like to know if a hound could track cougars, tree coons, run rabbits, point for pheasent, grouse and partrage, and retrieve. Are there any other breeds that can do this or any other specific hounds?
thanks mallard
I had a Boxer a long time ago that helped me get tree rats, grey fox, bobcat, coon, possum,and a few duck(creekside). Found many, many deer beforewe did. Retrieved also.
Anyone that has ever beenwith a Rottweiler in the backwoods knows the breeds potential.
A "good 'ol boy" down the road from me has a few pitbulls thatarefine hunting/trapping dogs. well behaved and good natured too. THEY POINT AND RETRIEVE.

Idont have experience with them but always wondered if you could train "wolf" out of the Timberwolf, if so I believe it would be the best in the world at taking multiple species.

For the past 10-15 years i have been a big fan ofthe Basenji andthe Rottweiler. I truly feel that withconsistent and intensetraining1 of each of these would allow you tokill every game animal in North America provided that you do your part...

I have never been much ofa bird hunter. But you may be able to pull it off. Doubtful. But as we all know, dogs are eager to please and amaze everyday.