Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Puppy is busting birds... >

Puppy is busting birds...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Puppy is busting birds...

Old 10-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Puppy is busting birds...

There are alot of different schools of thought on this subject but I have found that starting a dog out on the right track from an early age is the best way to go. Mite's advice was right on with the check cord and is exactly what I would do.
The hard mouth issue is easy to fix with a good stiff bristled scrub brush...wrap it with a wing on the handle side and throw it out for him the bristles on the brush will teach him to hold it gingerly so he won't hurt his gums. I start all my retrievers out with this method and have found that it works wonders for hard mouths. It's also a hell of alot safer than useing nails or cigarette's.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the responses.

No there were not other dogs. The reason I'm hunting with the dog is to build and engrave the highest amount of desire and drive for hunting that I can. That way, when serious training starts this spring (one year old), it will not diminish his desire to hunt. These recommendations come from the training method I've been following; the breeder of the dog; a couple other owners of similar dogs and some folks from the VDD.

I'm very surprised to hear so many opinions to the contrary to this thought. I understand the logic in both approaches. At this point, I'm pretty committed to my approach.

About the hard mouth, I'm still confused about this. I don't consider my puppy killing the bird being hard mouth. I always thought hard mouth is when the dog brings back a mangled bird. My aspirations are to have a dog that will kill any wounded animal I shoot and bring it back to me without damaging the meat. Maybe I miscommunicated that point, but that is what my pup is doing right now which I find very exciting.

Thanks again
Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lostmountainlabs

The hard mouth issue is easy to fix with a good stiff bristled scrub brush...wrap it with a wing on the handle side and throw it out for him the bristles on the brush will teach him to hold it gingerly so he won't hurt his gums. I start all my retrievers out with this method and have found that it works wonders for hard mouths. It's also a hell of alot safer than useing nails or cigarette's.
When I was 14 my grandpa gave me a lab/gsp mixed pup for my birthday. He was hard mouthed most every bird he brought to hand was mangled. grandpa filled a grouse up with nails and tossed it out in the field and sent Reble to retrieve it. he got back to us and had blood pouring out of his mouth. it fixed the problem!!! He never retreved a bird again!! he ran to the bird and put a paw on it waiting for us to come get it. just food for thought. Grandpa wanted to shoot him. he still was one of the best dogs I ever had.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

my dog was 10 months old when i took him for his first pheasant hunt..i had him out walking and shooting 22 pistol at 6 months..

boy, he looked small and not familiar with his surroundings at 10 months..

yet, he did fine.. 6 months is too young to have pup in a full blown hunting, with people and guns and other dogs, no way..

in a controled area, you only,things not to thick, no problem..
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

I think I have a clue to what's going on. At that age, people are normally introducting gun fire (the real thing). What I believe is happening is that the dog is not getting any feedback so he thinks it's okay to try and flush the bird itself. The puppy flushes, you shoot, and down comes the bird. I would not shoot any birds that he flushes.

Few things to try. Put a cc on the dog and use planted birds. The momment the dog breaks for the bird, yank him back followed by the woah command. Its gonna be like the stakeout chain, he's gonna fight it. Keep doing it until the dog is still. After a few, he'll start to get it. Then any he points, walk in from the side to flush the bird and shoot if you wish.