HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Puppy is busting birds...
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

Default RE: Puppy is busting birds...

Thanks for all the responses.

No there were not other dogs. The reason I'm hunting with the dog is to build and engrave the highest amount of desire and drive for hunting that I can. That way, when serious training starts this spring (one year old), it will not diminish his desire to hunt. These recommendations come from the training method I've been following; the breeder of the dog; a couple other owners of similar dogs and some folks from the VDD.

I'm very surprised to hear so many opinions to the contrary to this thought. I understand the logic in both approaches. At this point, I'm pretty committed to my approach.

About the hard mouth, I'm still confused about this. I don't consider my puppy killing the bird being hard mouth. I always thought hard mouth is when the dog brings back a mangled bird. My aspirations are to have a dog that will kill any wounded animal I shoot and bring it back to me without damaging the meat. Maybe I miscommunicated that point, but that is what my pup is doing right now which I find very exciting.

Thanks again