Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 What do you feed your dogs? Also, neurotic dog? >

What do you feed your dogs? Also, neurotic dog?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you feed your dogs? Also, neurotic dog?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default What do you feed your dogs? Also, neurotic dog?

Do any of you have recommendations on which kinds of food have worked best for your dogs and your wallet? Do you think it's possible to keep a lazy bloodhound and 2 energetic 11 month olds (retriever and cur) on the same diet? The hound gets fat if she even looks at her bowl, and the cur eats like a horse but can't keep still long enough to put on weight.

Also, has anybody found diet affecting energy levels and in particular hyperactivity? Or does anybody have any training suggestions? My retriever is in training for Search and Rescue, and has amazed everyone with her drive, but all hell breaks loose if she sees a flashlight or any kind of reflection (like from a mirror or CD). All she can think about is chasing it, including up the walls in my house. She'll run into people to get at it, and becomes selectively deaf when usuallyshe minds well. I don't know what to do for/with her, as it could result in her failing her certification test. Will she maybe outgrow it? HELP!!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you feed your dogs? Also, neurotic dog?

For food, I feed my dog ProPlan but there is better out there. I tried experimenting with other cheaper grocery store brands but she ended up putting on alot of weight and alot of waste. I've switch back to Proplan and now she much more energetic, less waste and lost alot of weight. She has to lose another 5lbs or so but its been only a week or more.I would not recommend feeding the bloodhound the same food if its over 2 yrs of age. Different nutritional requirements. Also, limit the amout of food you feed your bloodhound.Overweight can cause hip/joint problems in the future.

As to your retriever, that would be a dog behavioristspecialty.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like feeding mine Eagle Pack dog food. They make a wide variety to select from. I feed mine the Power Formular and they only eat what they want. I find using the cheaper store brands that they eat more of it quicker. My dogs tend to be on the hyperside unless I take them out for a run, and then you couldn't ask for a better dog.

I am not any kind of pro at your retriever's problem, but have you tried taking your pup out for a walk at night using your flashlight? I would think that by doing this a few nights and the flashlight part of this should be solved.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Spike

I've tried letting her chase it to the point of wearing herself out, but the novelty never seems to wear off. She spends about 5 hrs a night outside chasing shadows in the yard until I bring her in too. I'm hoping it's just a strange puppy habit she'll outgrow, but it can get frustrating. I'm worried she might take to chasing headlights too. She gets totally fixated on the shadows/reflections and doesn't seem to notice I am even talking to her when usually she is obedient.

My old roommate used to actually bring her inside with the flashlight because she didn't listen to him.