Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR) >

Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR)

Old 10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR)

My buddy and I got drawn for modern gun permits in the south unit of White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR) next month and we're pumped! We've scouted and know where we're going to set up...just looking for someone who has hunted there before that can tell me how much trouble we might have finding a campsite, running across other hunters in the woods, etc.

Thanks in advance,

SC in LR
Old 10-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR)

Hard to find campsites...and no trouble running into a zillion people.

I haven't hunted it, but some guys I work with have. They said that a whole lot of the modern gun season it sounded like WW3 out there and that it was hard to find spots to park, even just off the road. Don't know if they were talking about N. unit, S. unit, or the refuge as a whole though...

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for someone who has hunted White River National Wildlife Refuge (AR)

Thanks, Fro Man...thats generally what I've been hearing from everybody. We're going DEEP into the refuge to get away from most folks.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
New Sheriff

I've bowhunted it, once.

I was living in Stuttgart and a local told me where to go. He told me to go down some slough and get out where twin cypress trees were. Then I was to go due east for 200 yds and set up. Soooo, the next morning I loaded up my canoe and paddled down the slough until I thought I was at the twin cypress trees. I walked due east for 200 yds, set up a stand in a pin oak and an hour later arrowed a big doe.

After I told him about it I was nowhere close to where he had described.

I have never been back.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 PM

SCRIDER1, which part of the South Unit are you going to hunt? We also got drawn for the gun hunt. I have been hunting the South Unit (south of Elaine,AR) since the youth days. My Dad and I have been bowhunting down there hard for the last 4-5 years with great results. There are plenty of places to camp and it's not as crowded as it sounds. Where are you entering the refuge when you go?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

33hunter...we are going to camp at the Wolf Lake campsite. I have a small boat we are going to take southwest along Brooks Bayou and hunt the western bank of Lower Eagle Nest Lake. How about you?