LAGUNA ATASCOSA WILDLIFE REFUGE >

LAGUNA ATASCOSA WILDLIFE REFUGE

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

LAGUNA ATASCOSA WILDLIFE REFUGE

Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default LAGUNA ATASCOSA WILDLIFE REFUGE

I Am coming down to LAGUNA ATASCOSA wildlife refuge in TEXES this year to hunt.I will be hunting pigs and nilgai with my bow.I would like to know if any one out there has hunted it and how they did.I will not get to scout it at all.So any help would be real nice.My dad and I will be hunting.

I do real good on elk and deer but have never hunted pigs or nilgai.Living in Montana dont get any chances at them :}Here is a few quetons I have.

1st Is a tripod the only way to hunt? If I need a tripod what will I need, 10 footer or need at least a 13 foot?

2nd Is there much of a chance to kill pigs and nilgai in the same tree stand?

3rd Do pigs or nilgai move much in the middle of the day?

4th Would it be best to use a bicycle With a wagon or some kind of cart?

5th About what is the live weight of nilgai and an average pig?

Ty very much for any imfo an all.
CHARLES BRADFORD
Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: LAGUNA ATASCOSA WILDLIFE REFUGE

Dang I figgered there would be many people that have hunted this place :}
Old 08-19-2005, 12:15 PM

I spend winters in Brownsville TX, and am planning on really checking out the Nilgai hunt for 2006 or 7.
Nilgai are in the Bovine class! I was surprised at that, but that is part of the latin name.
They are almost as big as an elk.
The local guy who works the Laguna, told me that one should come in on the West and north side, rather than through the park HQ area. But check with them there at the park.
You may see a pig or two BEFORE you see a Nilgai, just because they are more frequent. If they allow you, a Quad would be nice to cover some of that country and to carry in the tripod.
Almost everyone in Texas hunts from a stand. A high one.
I spent 10 years ain Texas in the Trans Pecos area, but never heard about Nilgai until I bought my winter home in Brownsville, and went birdwatching out at the Laguna. Love that place.
I summer in Oregon, and am leaving for the Elk hunt in a few days. Just got a new Jennings CK 3.1.
Best wishes.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you much HANKPAC

My auint is in brownsville. That is how my dad heard of the hunts.We have did a little fishing down there did very well on snapper and triggers.

The only thing alowed on the park is bikes [peddle] so some places will get very little hunting on them.

Elk opens here in montana on the 3rd me and sevral guys are biting at the bit to go.Looks like I will get about 3 full weeks of bow hunting the breaks this year.Hillbillyhunter1 will allso be in my hunting party.I meet him on this site allso.

Good luck on the elk hunt!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 PM

My email is : [email protected]
I go down there in the winter, usually from Jan to April, for the fishing. I caught some Pampano on the beach last March.
Get in touch. Going out for Elk Next week, to get set up, and wait for the season to open a few days later.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Hey elkinmt,

tree stand- two words on usually found in the south texas hunting vocabulary. Theres not many trees tall enough for em in south texas. If i was you id get a double bull or some type of ground blind, if you dont want to spot and stalk.I do not know of how many niglai or hogs are in that park so I guess youll have to figure it out yourself. The average one should weigh around 700 or so pounds. Pigs in texas weigh pretty much the same as they do in other parts of the country. Maybe you might see a few javelina that weigh around 40 pounds. I shot one 60 lbs and thats considered pretty darn big. Id post the pics but they are too big and i dont know how to make them smaller.