Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Now that muzzleloading is over in OK >

Now that muzzleloading is over in OK

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Now that muzzleloading is over in OK

Old 11-01-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Now that muzzleloading is over in OK

Anyone going back out there with their bow prior to opening day of gun season? I'll definitely be going back out there. Seems like the rut is about over here, north of Roland, OK. Many of the bucks harvested where I hunt had big swollen necks and came running when rattling.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Now that muzzleloading is over in OK

I'll be in a tree starting Friday. No sign of rut here. I hope this cold weather picks things up. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:45 PM

I caught this one on the stealth cam:

And yesterday he went out for a stroll during the morning rain near our main camp and was harvested as shown here:

Unfortunately it was not by me , So there definitely moving out there.

Check out the rest at the ranch website.

Good luck to all of you as well...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Seems like the rut is about over here, north of Roland, OK. Many of the bucks harvested where I hunt had big swollen necks and came running when rattling.

I'm not saying you're wrong, b/c I haven't been out in your area, but I seriously doubt the rut is almost over. Your area can't be that much more different than all the other areas in Oklahoma. You said that they have swollen necks and are coming into rattling. Their necks start swelling once they shed their velvet and start rubbing and sparring. Deer come to rattling better in the pre rut stages when they are competing with other bucks for territory. When the full rut comes in, you are more likely to have LESS success with rattling. I think in most areas in OKlahoma, the rut is just starting or still needs about a week for does to start coming in. Remember, the bucks are ready to breed as soon as they drop their velvet, but the rut doesn't not actually start until the does come into estrous. Sorry about the long post and disagreeing with you, but this is just my opinion and I may be way off track. Anyway, yes I will be in the woods between the two seasons, that is the time of year the biggest bucks are normally taken here in Oklahoma. Good luck to all and keep us posted.