Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 tips on hunting a 2400 acre wildlife refuge >

tips on hunting a 2400 acre wildlife refuge

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tips on hunting a 2400 acre wildlife refuge

Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Default tips on hunting a 2400 acre wildlife refuge

I just got permission to hunt 2400 acres in southern ohio I have never hunted this much land before where do you start? The terrain is real hilly,big hardwood forests,with lots of streams creeks with one creek running into the ohio river.This is the first time anyone has ever hunted this land legally? It is currently a wildlife preserve that contains 13,000 acres,but I have access to 2400.Not much farmland so I would say deer mosty eaten acorns.bow season opens in 2 days so i need to get started.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tips on hunting a 2400 acre wildlife refuge

I would start with aerial imaging. I'd start with www.local.live.com or one of the others. Find saddles, funnels, bedding areas. Bedding areas might be harder to find, they may use the ridges for bedding. With a river and hilly, somewhere along there will probably be a funnel. If they are hitting acorns, find the hot ones and hunt with a climber. I personnally hate big woods for such reasons. I prefer smaller woods, the deer are much easier to pattern. hope it helps
Old 09-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

bow season opens in 2 days so i need to get started.
[/quote]

Man, you're about 1 month late to know if there is any deer. Are you just going to do a lucky walk in and hope for the best?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, you're about 1 month late to know if there is any deer. Are you just going to do a lucky walk in and hope for the best?
[/quote]

maybe you missed the part when he said " I just got permission to hunt..."
obviously more time would be better, but he is working with what he has. he is asking for help here, not to be ridiculed for being "late".
Old 09-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin

maybe you missed the part when he said " I just got permission to hunt..."
obviously more time would be better, but he is working with what he has. he is asking for help here, not to be ridiculed for being "late".
TJ, like what help? How does anyone here can possibly know the lay out of that property. Hewould approach it just like he would have approached the other property!

He didn't say he was New to hunting!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Spike

I agree with the aerial view suggestion. you can tell alot by looking down at the property. I would even suggest some typography to show elevation. try to locate a food source (acorns), and a water source. If a creek runs through it....Look for the crossings .......

I wish i had 2400 acres of land to hunt in Ohio.....stay close to that connection, and do you homework through-out this season, and until next season....then give me a call........LOL
Old 09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

All i can say is you just got permission to hunt a wildlife refuge that has never been hunted legally, can you take me hunting with you!!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

asphaltman....invite us over..then take notes