Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Va... Season is almost here.!!!! >

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Old 09-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

ORIGINAL: NCHuntnFever

Hey Guys,

I work and hunt in VA... You guys looking for land.. I saw in the Newspaper.. 240 acres for 1,200.. Bow Hunting Rights.. Southhampton County I believe is where its at... If you want I will look for it and get ya a number...
Er, uh, I think I'll let VASavage270 handle this.... I believe this might be the same place he/we were considering at one point.

Butch A.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Butch

I see the posting, lol

NCHuntnFever, if you don't mind gather all the information you can and forward to me if it's not any inconvenience to you.

Thanks

David
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I hereby appoint BUTCH to look for a plotted area in the cumberland forest for 5-6 hunters thereof for the up coming gun season..lol Um.. Butch this is a directive!!!...lmao

Also as a notation, provide the opportunity for the hunters to scout as a group....lol
Old 09-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: VaSavage270

I hereby appoint BUTCH to look for a plotted area in the cumberland forest for 5-6 hunters thereof for the up coming gun season..lol Um.. Butch this is a directive!!!...lmao

Also as a notation, provide the opportunity for the hunters to scout as a group....lol
ROFLMAO!!!! Consider it done!

Butch A.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hog Island is heavily hunted, i know lots of guys that go out there. The mosquitos WILL fly away with you. I varmint hunt there. The deer are fairly large - the area is crawling with them and there are several nice size fields with soybeans, corn, etc. that they can get nice and big off of.

eng40sqd - It would probably be worth your time to try it out, shotgun season hasn't opened for deer yet so its not over crowded. Now, if it was after Nov. 13 I would say don't even bother. Beautiful land down there and great ride too.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Spike

Thanks Butch. I appreciate the suggestions. Maybe it's just as well I don't bow hunt this year. I have a lot of trouble with my right shoulder ever since I got shot in the back hunting in upstate NY on opening day in 2001. A slob hunter shot 11 times at a herd of does according to the game dept and state police. One of his shots went up over a hill and got me right in the back, way too close to the spine. 12 gauge slug. I don't have to tell you the damage that 1oz piece of lead did. Tore up my shoulder pretty good with permanent nerve damage. I'm going to take Dayton's advice on giving AP Hill a try. I don't know where you are supposed to go to get a permit, etc, but I'm sure someone will tell me here. Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Crowpecker
I have a lot of trouble with my right shoulder ever since I got shot in the back hunting in upstate NY on opening day in 2001. A slob hunter shot 11 times at a herd of does according to the game dept and state police. One of his shots went up over a hill and got me right in the back, way too close to the spine. 12 gauge slug. I don't have to tell you the damage that 1oz piece of lead did. Tore up my shoulder pretty good with permanent nerve damage.
[&:][][&:][][&:][]

DAAAAAAAAAAAAY-UM!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with a slob hunter! Man, that makes me sick! [:@] Glad you're okay though. Still, I would have found the sucker that did it, and sought out some sort of revenge! [:@]

This ranks right up there with my best friend, best buddy, fishing partner, fellow "garage-band" member, etc... Years ago here in VA, he was hunting with another guy during general firearms season (rifle season). Somehow they ended up in a cross-fire with some other hunters. To this day, my buddy remembers hearing the .30-.06 bullet whizz by his head! [&:][][&:] That was it.... Said and done.... Over and finished.... The next day my buddy hocked his rifle, camo, all his gear, etc... and gave it all up.

Butch A.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Spike

Crowpecker, take 17 to 301 south. About 5 miles on your right will be the main gate/guardhouse (big tank out front). Bring your drivers license, hunting license and hunter safety card. Tell the guard you want to get a hunting permit and you are new. He will tell you everything you need to do. Your vehicle will be inspected, so don't have a handgun or alcohol with you. They are banned from the site.

Guard will send you to the Game Check building. They will get you a permit for $40. Watch a 10 min video about the site. They will give you a list of rules/regs and a map. When you want to hunt you drive to gamecheck, give them your permit and pick a "Training area" (called TA's). There are 31 TA's. Two of which are bow only all year. They will give you a two laminated cards when you check in. The card has the TA's number you picked. That is the only area you can be in. You can change TA's by checking back in. Go hunt. They only let a certain number of hunters in any TA depending on the size of the area. Lots of land. LOTS. Did I mention there is a LOT of land. And most of it looks good.

I have only been there during bow and blackpowder season. Not to crowded.

Best part is they don't stand for any crap. No dog hunting. No road hunting. No alcohol.

I like it. Can't see myself joining a club anytime soon.

Good luck, post any questions you have or email me.

Dayton
Old 10-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Spike

Thanks Butch. I gave it up the last two years but really missed it. I'm lucky to be alive today but I have hunted without anything even close to this happening for over 30 yrs so I'm going to start hunting again. They got the guy. I have a lawsuit that should be final soon. He got the max punishment by NY state laws. What an idiot. They were finally able to remove the slug and fragments last October but I still can't climb a stand with my shoulder. It is a source of constant aggravation. I too heard the slug coming but didn't have time to react. Hopefully, I'm over the nightmares and can get on with my life. Good luck to you and all the hunters this year. And be CAREFUL out there, ok?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Ranger690

Crowpecker, take 17 to 301 south. About 5 miles on your right will be the main gate/guardhouse (big tank out front). Bring your drivers license, hunting license and hunter safety card. Tell the guard you want to get a hunting permit and you are new. He will tell you everything you need to do. Your vehicle will be inspected, so don't have a handgun or alcohol with you. They are banned from the site.

Guard will send you to the Game Check building. They will get you a permit for $40. Watch a 10 min video about the site. They will give you a list of rules/regs and a map. When you want to hunt you drive to gamecheck, give them your permit and pick a "Training area" (called TA's). There are 31 TA's. Two of which are bow only all year. They will give you a two laminated cards when you check in. The card has the TA's number you picked. That is the only area you can be in. You can change TA's by checking back in. Go hunt. They only let a certain number of hunters in any TA depending on the size of the area. Lots of land. LOTS. Did I mention there is a LOT of land. And most of it looks good.

I have only been there during bow and blackpowder season. Not to crowded.

Best part is they don't stand for any crap. No dog hunting. No road hunting. No alcohol.

I like it. Can't see myself joining a club anytime soon.

Good luck, post any questions you have or email me.

Dayton
Thanks so much Dayton. I will definately give it a try this year.