HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Va... Season is almost here.!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Ranger690
Spike

Default RE: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Crowpecker, take 17 to 301 south. About 5 miles on your right will be the main gate/guardhouse (big tank out front). Bring your drivers license, hunting license and hunter safety card. Tell the guard you want to get a hunting permit and you are new. He will tell you everything you need to do. Your vehicle will be inspected, so don't have a handgun or alcohol with you. They are banned from the site.

Guard will send you to the Game Check building. They will get you a permit for $40. Watch a 10 min video about the site. They will give you a list of rules/regs and a map. When you want to hunt you drive to gamecheck, give them your permit and pick a "Training area" (called TA's). There are 31 TA's. Two of which are bow only all year. They will give you a two laminated cards when you check in. The card has the TA's number you picked. That is the only area you can be in. You can change TA's by checking back in. Go hunt. They only let a certain number of hunters in any TA depending on the size of the area. Lots of land. LOTS. Did I mention there is a LOT of land. And most of it looks good.

I have only been there during bow and blackpowder season. Not to crowded.

Best part is they don't stand for any crap. No dog hunting. No road hunting. No alcohol.

I like it. Can't see myself joining a club anytime soon.

Good luck, post any questions you have or email me.

Dayton