Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 AUTOMATED CHECK IN SYSTEMS!!! >

AUTOMATED CHECK IN SYSTEMS!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

AUTOMATED CHECK IN SYSTEMS!!!

Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 AM

Default AUTOMATED CHECK IN SYSTEMS!!!

They started that a few years ago here in NC.....Let me enlighten you on some pitfalls of the system.....By the law you are suppose to call in the animal harvested and they give you kinda of like a confirmation # which you are suppose to write on your hunting license in the space provided. Before this system we had to tear a tag off our license tie it to the deers ear and roll on home. Now Heres the bad part......I had a deer on my deer rack last year ....where I hunt cell phones dont work and its about 20min to the nearest store where I have to stop and call from a payphone listen to this recording put in all my hunter info....get my conformation # and then go home. Well Mr. Gamewarden decided he wanted to stop me before I ever made it the store to make the phonecall......guess what ......major ticket.......when it was all said and done I had over 600.00 in that deer. So word of advice is be careful!!! I think it was a set up from the state of NC....Everytime I ride down the road with a deer on my rack Im taking that risk until I can get to a phone. Seems kinda unfair to me....after all I cant help cell phones dont work down there.

JUST BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AUTOMATED CHECK IN SYSTEMS!!!

Why did'nt you validate the harvest card that comes with the big game license? Before you move the deer from where it is killed, you are supposed validate this card by punching or cutting out the correct type of animal that you have killed. As long as you validate that card you have 24 hours to report a kill in NC. Kind of sounds to me like you are not telling us the whole story.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Why did'nt you validate the harvest card that comes with the big game license? Before you move the deer from where it is killed, you are supposed validate this card by punching or cutting out the correct type of animal that you have killed. As long as you validate that card you have 24 hours to report a kill in NC. Kind of sounds to me like you are not telling us the whole story.
You are correct VAH. You cut out the notch before you move the deer or turkey.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:00 AM

it was notched out....still got the ticket
Old 08-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still do not believe your story based on the facts in your first post. North Carolina law plainly states that you have 24 hours to check deer in. No where in the regulations does it state that North Carolina requires every big game hunter in the state to carry a cell phone, with service in every area of the state and to immediately call in a harvest BEFORE transport. If you had to immediately call in your harvest, then why does the state allow internet check in or transport to the nearest wildlife cooperator agent for check in? If the state required immediate call in, as your post is suggesting, then the two alternative methods of check in would not even be in the regulations and would be useless. I am sorry, but the facts stated in your first post do not add up. Anyone who is interested can go to the following website and read the regs for themselves:http://www.ncwildlife.com/fs_index_02_regulations.htm
Old 08-21-2004, 03:55 PM

All you have to do is cut out the slot on your harvest tag and you can drive that deer anywhere you want too, and it is legal , you then have 24 hours to call in and get a harvest control #.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

If your tag was notched out, at the appropraite place, then Mr. Game Warden, could have and should have registered the deer for you and given you your registration confirmation # right there on the spot. By any chance, did you ask him to do this for you?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

Lmao!

I’ve read this thread and thought hmmmmmmmm… as we know everyone has a little story about something that may entice the viewers and raise some kind of polemic debate thereof.

I would have to agree with everyone, with the exception of the tale writer, which brought us all here…it clearly states what a hunter is suppose to do in the event he/she happens harvest any game. That’s almost like taking the plug out your shot gun, and telling the Warden excuse me kind Sir it never came with one etc. The bases of this story I tried that not knowing I would get in trouble some years back (1990) and had the receipt in my pocket for this one day old gun I had just purchased. After pleading my case the warden said he would speak on my behalf if I showed up at court, the funny thing is he wrote the ticket! And I wasn’t about to take a day off for a $75.00 ticket to go back. Or that of My buddy and boss at the time both got tickets the same day for using slugs in a prohibited county regardless to him owning the land and the buddy also got caught with the boss 16 ga. without a plug.

As a rule of thumb being involved in a law enforcement environment, If he (warden) wrote you this ticket that caused you to expense $600.00 as I read for this one deer and you followed all the appropriate procedures then he had no reason to ticket you unless you failed to comply! Simply put, some content is missing from this story, however the cases if you feel you were in the right why didn’t you protest such ? Hm….

The moral to the story is, it is your responsibility to check, cross check everything to ensure you are in compliance with the laws etc.