Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lottery systems.  Like them or not? >

Lottery systems. Like them or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Love it, only fair way to do things.
55.56%
Hate it.
33.33%
Don't mind it.
0%
I have no choice, it's the law where I live.
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Lottery systems. Like them or not?

Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lottery systems. Like them or not?

I keep hearing others talk about not getting a tag in their own state and it just reinforces one of the reasons I haven't moved out west. I only have so many years to hunt (God only knows how many that is) and the thought of having to sit one out seems unexceptable to me, especially if it's on my own land. I chafe enough at having season restrictions but I understand it's self restraint for a greater good. I like laws to be simple and not have to have my lawyer hunt with me so that I don't break any laws in the three volume game regulations.

Anyway, the question is:

Do you like a Lottery system as opposed to OTC system?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Lottery systems. Like them or not?

To easy to cheat on the out of state ones. easy to become a resident on paper
Old 11-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

i would be so mad if i didn't get a tag, thats why i love ny, always get a tag, maybe even 5...

But the only time i can see a lottery system to be pheasable is when there is a particular place that is a no hunting zone or something of that nature and there are too many deer, as in like an air force base or something of that nature.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Michigan, we have a lottery system for doe tags and also for bears. The one that concerns me is the bear lottery. It goes on a system of preference points, but it generally takes 3 years to get a tag no matter what. The lottery is fair and all, but the bear population is way up because so many guys get discouraged by not geting tags that they just quit applying. Also, the bear hunt has come under fire recently because we allow teh use of dogs, so there are scores of antis that also are applying so it makes getting a tag doubly difficult. I don't mind waiting, but the bears are putting a real dent in the whitetail population so they need to be taken down a little with a more liberal tag system, even if it just means more tags per lottery.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I hear that Minnesota next year is going to try a lottery for buck tags. I like it! This way every Tom, Dick, and Harry can't kill all the bucks. Right now you automatically get a buck tag and have to apply for a doe tag............So I'm not sure on the new system if you get a doe tag automatically or not............I have to do some research!!!

Yes it will suck not to get a buck tag...........But ifit makes forbetter hunting in the future......I'm all for it!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, everyone feel free to correct any misconceptions I have about regulations in other states. I would like to go somewhere in the midwest at least once with my Dad before he can no longer hunt and I start looking at the regulations and my head starts to swim. I guess I'm spoiled with our liberal policies in VA. I wish we'd move more towards like what GA has with a punch card and a lifetime sportsman's license that covers everything (including fishing). I have a lifetime hunting license but I have to still buy big game, archery and blackpowder if I'm going to hunt off my property.