Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk >

Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

My uncle had drawn this hunt about 10 years ago. He told me to buy a good pair of boots, bring lots of water, and get into better shape beforehand. He also told me that this was a hunt of a lifetime and the area itself was worth the trip.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

The huntingnet orange hat sounds like a good idea to me.

I have heard the same about getting some really good boots and start training. Luckly I have a great pair of danners, I am going to purchase a camelbak back pack for this hunt.

So what I figure I am going to do is bring a game cart and a pack frame and leave them at our drop of point. If I shoot a cow I will have to come back and retrieve them which will be a big pain in the butt, but I would rather not carry a giant pack frame through the woods. What is everyone else planning to do?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

What caliber rifle are all of you guys planning to use during your hunts?
I have been looking at the 338 federal for some time now and I may just have to buy it for this hunt.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 AM

I think I'll bring a remington 30-06, simply because I have confidence in the gun and myself together at the time of the shot.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

If I ever get drawn, I believe I am going to try it with a bow. I don't think there would ever be any more of a rewarding and accomplished feeling better than shooting an elk with a bow. Not sure if that made sense, but you get what i am saying.

I got drawn for the McAlester AAP hunt this year, I am so pumped. I have never shot a deer with trad equip before, I have tried and never have had the oppurtunity. It should be fun.

I don't mean to steal your post, just wanted to drop by and give my 2 cents tell you all congrats and good luck!!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM

good luck
Old 08-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Well I changed my mind on the 338 for now. I bought a savage 110 in 7mm. I havent got to shoot it yet, but I will get out to the range sometime this week.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 AM

nicd,

I can't believe you got drawn on your first time to put in!! I am one of those who is jealous, but congrats to everyone for sure. At least I know of a few people here who I won't be competing with for next years drawing!!

Millertime10,

Not to bust your dream of a elk bow kill, but I'm pretty sure they will only let you use a rifle at the Wichita Mt. NWR. You are also limited to how many rounds you are allowed to take in with you. Either way, it is still the hunt of a lifetime!!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davs2601

Well I changed my mind on the 338 for now. I bought a savage 110 in 7mm. I havent got to shoot it yet, but I will get out to the range sometime this week.
I didn't realize there were this many okies on here. I too live in Oklahoma City, but I hunt S.E. Oklahoma near McAlester. I wasn't aware of the elk hunt, but that sounds like a blast. Yeah, the 7mm mag is a great gun and I've heard a lot of hunting shows say it is the best gun for elk.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 PM

I also changed my mind on what rifle to bring. I bought a weatherby 7 MM and shot it last Sunday. I think your gonna like it.

Quick Reply: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.