Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Hey guys,

I just looked at the results for the draw hunts herre in Oklahoma. I got pulled for a cow elk out at the Wichita Mountains Dec 4-6. I have never hunted for elk and I know I have alot to learn before dec.
Have any of you guys hunted the Wichita Mountains before? If so What can I expect and what do I need to plan for.

Its funny my step dad has put in for all of the oklahoma draw hunts for quite a while now with no luck. This is my first year applying and I actually get drawn. Its my lucky day

Thanks for any info
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

I also drew out for the Wichita Mountains and I got a bull tag.
I grew up not far from there and there are lots of Elk plus Buffalo, hogs, deer and Longhorns.
They run pretty close to %100 on cows and I think about %90 on Bulls.
I will be there Dec 4-6 as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you on getting drawn. I cant wait for the hunt, it will be a blast. I looked at the results from last year and there is a high sucess rate. Alot higher than I though it would be. Hopefully when we get out packets they will include some more info as far as huntging locations and such. Have you talked with anyone about how the hunts are conducted?

Where did you grow up at? My wife and I grew up in Lawton and Ive always dreamed of hunting elk out there.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Spike

A friend of mine is a wildlife biologist for the state and he works the hunts on the refuge every year.
I sent you a IM.
It will be great and I can get you some info. Email me @
[email protected]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

i also got drawn on Dec4-6, cow tag.
got drawn years ago for doe it was a gimme hunt deer all over.
they took us out the day before the hunt drove us around and we picked our spot for the morning hunt.you get one way back in there its goiung to rough getting it out.lots of hills
Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM

Congrats to all of you who got drawn!! That is truly the hunt of a lifetime, especially now that they have made it where you can only draw out one time in your life.

My dad got drawn for a bull last year. I spent the 3 days driving the open part of the refuge and the deer rut was on big time. We were able to see 10-15 bucks that would probably go 130 or better.

As far as being an easy hunt, it was tough for them last year. My cousin lives about 10 minutes from the refuge and often goes out to help bring the elk in after they have been shot. From what he says, and what I saw last year, you will have a much better chance of tagging out if you have a bull tag. Those cows get into the deep thick stuff and can be very difficult to hunt. You will be challenged regardless of which tag you have so be prepared and you will have a blast.

Good luck to all of you. Now that you can't get drawn anymore, maybe my odds will go up a little bit.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Tyler 50 I have a question hopefully you can help me with. What seems to be the best method for packing out an elk? Im sure it depends on you location, but generally speaking is it easier to use a pack frame of a game cart or both. I have an old pack frame from the 70's that was my dads when he was in the boy scouts but I though about building a game cart as well.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:30 AM

davs2601,

The way it works is that you meet at the headquarters in the mornings, then you load up into trucks with a bunch of people and they take you to your assigned hunting area. When you get out, you put a flag out next to where they dropped you off and you go hunting. When you are ready to go, or if you get an elk, you have to go flip the flag so they know you are ready. You are allowed to bring a couple of helpers with you so when you get one, they can come out to the hunting area. They are not allowed to go in with you during the hunt. My dad left his 2 wheeled game cart with us to bring in when he got one. We then loaded up in a dept. truck and they took us to my dad. Luckily, his elk fell at the bottom of a mountain so we were able to drive within 100 to 150 yards from it, load it all onto the game cart and wheel it up to the truck and load it whole.

If you by chance shoot your elk on top or the side of a big mountain, you most likely will have to quarter it out. It may be hard to get a game cart up the side of the mountain, so you will also need to prepare to have to carry it out using game sacks or something like that, and be prepared to make a couple of trips. I saw this done and let me tell you, I would try to shoot an elk at the bottom of a mountain it at all possible.

The best thing to do is to have a couple of helpers, but if you don't, there are usually some people who just hang out and volunteer to go help whoever. It is the only way you get to go into the fenced area of the refuge and it is amazing to see.

Sorry for rambling so much, I hope this helped answer your question. I had the time of my life going to help my dad and I didn't even get to hunt. I did get an hour or so of some amazing deer video that you would have to see to believe. We got video ofbig bucksrunning does, bucks snort wheezing and trying to fight, bucks and does bedded down by the road, and I am not talking littled bucks, these were all trophy deer.

If you need any more info, just let me know.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like im in for a blast. I went out to the refuge on saturday and picked up a topo map. The fenced off area is larger than the public use area. I never realized it was so large out there.

You cleared up my questions very well. Thanks for the info.

I cant wait till December!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah buck-i and Mathewsbowman

I should have dropped you guys a line to see if you wanted me to pick you up a map while I was down there. Sorry I didnt think of it till now. If you guys want to check it out or makea copy of it just let me know. Its quite large and well detailed.

Quick Reply: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.