Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting Texas

Old 11-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Texas

I'm looking into buying some property in Texas. Where is a good place for the most game? Hogs, deer, turkeys, and I hear about mule deer there? Is there one area of the state that has the all these? And good hunting for all them? I've only visited texas in the past and I saw a ton of deer and small game. What guns would be best suited for this area? I guess the old '06 will do fine for anything.(except turkey)

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-26-2002, 07:19 AM

Default RE: Hunting Texas

You may want to look at the "Texas Parks and Wildlife" web site, and look in the west sections. and the .06 will work just fine. Some areas in the northern part of the state have pronghorn and some elk.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Only suggestion I could make besides looking in the Parks and Wildlife, would be to research and find an area that you find interesting and call the chamber of commerce in that area. Also go on line and look in the classified pages of papers near the area of interest. I would even go on line and check the thrifty nickle of towns near the area you are interested in. I see land in the thrifty nickle all the time.

As far as guns, it depends on where you choose. If you choose the caprock an 06 would be great. If you pick the hill country you will not get as long of shoots, I would still say a 06 would be fine. If you pick the pinney woods, an 06 would work but your shots are going to be close. I use to use only a 30-30 in the pinewoods and my 270 or 06 in the hills and plains.

Good luck, we have some fine hunting here in Texas.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:22 PM

Well to get to the point....around the Lubbock area. You could call this area South Panhandle or North Central. I have hunted there myself in past years and am going there again the second weekend in December. I have taken big (165lbs) and bigger whitetails, have seen lots of mule deer (9 day season) and all of the other game are plentiful. If you would like some names of outfitters/guides in the area let me know at my email ([email protected])and I would be happy to provide.

Good Hunting