Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Summer Coyote Hunting

Old 06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Summer Coyote Hunting

I just came back from my ranch in northern Mexico where a couple of friends and I were hunting coyotes. We had little luck since we only got 2 of them. My question is this: Temperature plays a role in coyotes being more or less active during the summer? We were at around 100 or 105F and sunny that day and we kill the two yotes around dusk when it started to get a little cooler.

Just for comparison a couple of months ago, we got 18 coyotes in a weekend between 3 hunters (the temperature was around 65F that weekend), population is not an issue since there is a lot of coyotes in the area and they dont get almost any hunting pressure. We also heard a lot of howling and barking at night but hunting with lights at night is prohibited in Mexico.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summer Coyote Hunting

It's extremely difficult for almost any animal to stay cool in 100+F weather so yes of course they will be holed up in the shade and being active almost exclusively at night. There is only disadvantages from the coyotes standpoint to being active during the daytime at those tempuratures.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I could suggest would be to find a secluded water hole and sit and wait. Coyotes will need water sometime during the day.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing is you could set up and use a predator call near likely resting spots like brushy draws, water holes, or shady canyons. The prospect of an easy meal may lure a coyote out of his shady resting spot during the day. Other than that though you will probably have to step on them to find them during the day.

In reply to charlie brown, if they are resting during the day chances are they may only be going to watering holes at night or dusk. They don't HAVE to get water during the day...I'm not saying that they won't.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Around here coyotes seem to moving a lot more on the cool evenings we've been having.

Lately fronts have let the temps drop down into the low eighties by early evening and I've been seeing quite a few yotes several hours before dusk, as well as hearing them howl a lot earlier.

I haven't really been hunting them, but I've been carrying a little Cass Creek electronic pred call when I'm out after squirrel and I've pulled in several the last few evening just for fun. I had a pair within about fifty feet Sunday.

Yesterday I watched one cross a pasture about four in the evening.