Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250? >

Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250?

Old 08-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250?

I' ve been trying to get a handle on the best type of bullet to use for coyote from a 22-250. I' m a little confused about the tradeoff between killing power and pelt damage. It seems that some recommend using a harder non-expanding bullet to minimize pelt damage but then one' s creating TWO bullet holes in the pelt, while it would also make sense to select a fragmenting bullet that would stop inside without an exit wound like a V-Max or such, but I worry about no creating a deep enough wound to reach the coyote' s vitals.

Please suggest not only the right type of bullet (i.e. hard vs. frangiable) and also the specific make and model of bullet that fits the bill (i.e. V-Max, Failsafe, etc...).

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250?

Driftrider, I' ve lost count of how many coyotes I' ve taken with my 22-250 and honestly, I' ve shot them with about every bullet on the market. I' ve always used 50 gr. bullets and have tried hollow points, which almost always went all the way through and left large exit wounds, then tried the V-max bullets, also 50 gr., and they usually went all the way through too, also leaving large exit wounds, so I decided that for the most part, I will have two holes and am now using 50 gr. psp, they also usually go all the way through, ,but usually the exit wound is managable. I usually am taking shots well with-in 100 yrds., so if you could take longer shots, that would help as far as not leaving two holes. I haven' t tried the 40 gr. V-max, I suspect that it might be worth while to check into as far as not leaving two holes in the hide, but I just don' t know if you hit a shoulder if it will penetrate enough or not. The other thing I like to do, which I' m not always able to control, is to take frontal shots. That is my favorite shot, only one hole and it drops them faster than any other hit.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet selection for coyote w/ 22-250?

I use Sierra 52-grain HPBT. I hunt in more wide open country so my shots are longer than most. I have never had a pass thru so pelt damage is not a problem.
I like a bullet that fragments on impact. Penetration is not a problem, coyotes are small and easy to kill.