Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bullet Selection

Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Bullet Selection

I posted this in the Big Game section but did not get many responses. What do you guys think? I will be mostly hunting whitetail.

Rifle Tikka Hunter 270WSM
GameWhitetail, Elk, Moose
Range 0 to 300 yards

Which bullet would you choose and why?????

Barnes Triple shock or Nosler Partition
[align=right][/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Selection

I use the Nosler in my 7mm mag. I'm notsaying that the Barns are not good or effective butI don't believe that the Barns are worth the cost. I also use the Sierra Game King which is even less expensive and I believe as effective. As you know the well placed shot is most important. I have used the Barns and I don't see any real diffence when harvesting whitetails. I don't think the deer know the difference either.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 PM

No experience with the Barnes here, but I know you'll be pleased by the performance of the partition bullets. The heaviest bullet you'll find for the .270 is 150gr, in my OPINION that's a little on the small side for moose. I need to qualify that opinion with the fact that I've never hunted moose and don't know squat about them .
Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm useing a .270 WSM for pronghorn hunt I have planed for New Mexico(if I draw my tag),the bullet I'm useing is a 130gr Hornady SST! I've had execelent results from them in other calibers...
Old 05-26-2007, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Crawfish7mm

I posted this in the Big Game section but did not get many responses. What do you guys think? I will be mostly hunting whitetail.

Rifle Tikka Hunter 270WSM
GameWhitetail, Elk, Moose
Range 0 to 300 yards

Which bullet would you choose and why?????

Barnes Triple shock or Nosler Partition
[align=right][/align]

Federal Powershock soft points. Why? Because they are in-expensive and do the job quite well up to 300 yards. Now beyond 300 yards maybe we should be talking 700 yards?An Interbond, Accubond, or Partition. Nice choice of rifle and caliber though, I don't think you'll have any problems with that setup. I really want to add the T3 Hunter to my collection.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is also a 160 Grain Partition for the 270 which will shoot trough any moose out there. Don't under estimate the 270.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

My choice would be the tsx.I find that they retain more weight and penetrate better than partitions,and are more accurate in my rifles.I would choose the 130gr tsx since it will penetrate at least as well as the 150gr partition,but will shoot even flatter.With elk on the menu,I would not even consider the sst or the gameking.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 AM

Is a TSX one of the more bonded and heavier rounds?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 AM

The TSX is asolid copper bullet.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The tsx is a simpler name for the triple shock.It is solid copper,so there is no jacket to separate.Since it retains more weight than a jacketed bullet,it is often used in lighter weights that shoot flatter and have less recoil.

Quick Reply: Bullet Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.