Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bullet Selection

Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Bullet Selection

I'm new to the whole medium/large game hunting. I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 (mounted with a Leupold VX II scope) and need your opinions on which premium bullet you would choose for basically everything in North America. I've been asked to go Moose and White Tail this year. Any advise to offer? I've read up on Federal's Premium line of bullets and it looks, on paper, that the Sierra GameKing and Nosler Partition may be the route to go with as a universal North American game round. Anybody a Winchester fan? I would appreciate any suggestions. Please let me know what your suggestions/opinions would be for my situation. Eventually I'll be getting more rifles suited for specific hunts but I'm sure all you seasoned hunting vets know that'll take a little time to build the collection. For now, I went with a round that's versitle enough for everything in North America.

Thanks for the help all!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Selection

You can't go wrong with a Nosler Partition. Also Trophy Bonded Bearclaws are good.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I would also go with the Partition. If you're talking about critters bigger than deer (like moose), I would probably steer clear of the Sierras.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

The game kings are ok on deer but I'm not a big fan of them on larger game like moose or elk. I'd stick with a partition, accubond, trophy bonded bear claw, barnes x or something along those lines. Remember the weight of the bullet is also important. The optimum thing would be to have different weights for each type of game. For deer I like a little lighter weight because it shoots a little flatter and the bullet expands a little quicker. On bigger game you would of course want a heavier bullet.

But if you're looking for an all around round that'll do it all then I'd go with 180grs in a partition, accubond, throphy bonded bear claw, fail safe or barnes x. Just figure out which one shoots best (most accurate) out of your rifle.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine shot a moose with the cheepest .30/06 ammo he could get. It was Hastings I think, 180 gr, with a soft point. The terminal performance was just fine. You could also use that bullet for deer, but I like a 150 or 165 a little better. A 165 wouldn't be a bad compromise for just about every critter out there that you'd want to shoot with an '06. I really don't think it matters too much which brand you use. They are all designed to be shot at game. Any moose shot through the ribs with a 30 cal bullet of 165 gr. on up is a dead moose. They generally don't just fall over like deer sometimes do though. Always shoot again to be sure.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

A friend of mine shot a moose with the cheepest .30/06 ammo he could get. It was Hastings I think, 180 gr, with a soft point. The terminal performance was just fine. You could also use that bullet for deer, but I like a 150 or 165 a little better. A 165 wouldn't be a bad compromise for just about every critter out there that you'd want to shoot with an '06. I really don't think it matters too much which brand you use. They are all designed to be shot at game. Any moose shot through the ribs with a 30 cal bullet of 165 gr. on up is a dead moose. They generally don't just fall over like deer sometimes do though. Always shoot again to be sure.
I can't agree with anything you said. All bullets are NOT equal and they do not perform the same. Read any ballistics test done in any gun magazine.

I would also go 180 gr. I've used them on deer alot you just have to be careful about not hitting meat. I've shot moose and knocked them down with my .300. If you don't hit em right with enough gun they might run a ways before dying. I don't know about were u are but I can't afford to have them run too far...too much work getting them out.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Brutal, I figured somebody would jump right on that.

What I said was it doesn't matter what brand you use. The construction of the projectile does make a difference. But if you told me I had to shoot a moose with a 30 cal 180 grain bullet, or 165 for that matter, but I had no control over the brand, I'd be more than happy to oblige. I don't know of any 180 gr commercially loaded round that would not work for moose. Same goes for 165. I would not take a shot where I had to penetrate the body from front to rear, but I wouldn't do that anyway. I said any moose shot through the RIBS with a 30 cal bullet of at least 165 gr. is a dead moose, and that is a fact. Here's another fact, if you want to anchor a moose, you have to hit them in the head or spine (or very close to the spine). But I wouldn't recommend aiming for the head or spine. I don't care if its a 30/30, 308, 30/06 300 mag or a 300 Wby mag., on a rare instance a moose may fall in a pile after a shot through the ribs, but more often they'll trot a ways, sometimes they run like hell. That's the way it is with moose, I don't care where you are.

You do NOT need specially constructed bullets to hunt moose. My point is that the name on the ammo box is not important, and you don't need to spend $25 or more a box on ammo. Even you agreed shot placement is most important, so I guess you did find something to agree with after all.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info so far everyone! Looks like the popular choice is a partition bullet.

Has anyone have an opinion of using the Winchester AccuBond/Remington Scirocco Bonded as a medium/big game bullet? Their websites states it's suited for large game due to it's reinforced jacket design. I can't imagine a ballistic tip should be used in large game hunting due to it's rapid expansion. Can anyone fill me in on that as well?

Thanks again and keep the input coming.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Partitions are good bullets but there are far better ones out there if you want controled expansion and extreme toughness.

IMO the best all around bullet is the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or the A-Frame. They both reliably expand on deer size animals and do a great deal of damage on their way through but also have the extreme toughness to stay together on the heavy bones of larger animals like elk and moose. The bonded core assures you of high weight retention and great penetration.

If I were going to choose one bullet to do it all from deer to moose with the 30-06 it would, with out a doubt, be Federals TBBC in 165 or 180 grain and either their high energy or standard load. Which ever one shoots best in your rifle.

Coming in close seconds would be Winchesters failsafe, Federals triple shock,Remingtons Scirocco, Federals Accubond.

The Scirocco is a bonded bullet like the TBBC but has a full length lead core instead of having a large copper base like the TBBC does. The bonding prevents the lead core seaperation from the jacket. It will usually expand more then the TBBC but penetrate less due to this.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Hey Brutal, I figured somebody would jump right on that.

What I said was it doesn't matter what brand you use. The construction of the projectile does make a difference. But if you told me I had to shoot a moose with a 30 cal 180 grain bullet, or 165 for that matter, but I had no control over the brand, I'd be more than happy to oblige. I don't know of any 180 gr commercially loaded round that would not work for moose. Same goes for 165. I would not take a shot where I had to penetrate the body from front to rear, but I wouldn't do that anyway. I said any moose shot through the RIBS with a 30 cal bullet of at least 165 gr. is a dead moose, and that is a fact. Here's another fact, if you want to anchor a moose, you have to hit them in the head or spine (or very close to the spine). But I wouldn't recommend aiming for the head or spine. I don't care if its a 30/30, 308, 30/06 300 mag or a 300 Wby mag., on a rare instance a moose may fall in a pile after a shot through the ribs, but more often they'll trot a ways, sometimes they run like hell. That's the way it is with moose, I don't care where you are.

You do NOT need specially constructed bullets to hunt moose. My point is that the name on the ammo box is not important, and you don't need to spend $25 or more a box on ammo. Even you agreed shot placement is most important, so I guess you did find something to agree with after all.

Sure I could shoot a moose with any commercial bullet but I don't think terminal performace is equal for all brands under various conditions. Brand X may be as good as Brand Y when you hit em in the vitals but if you hit the front shoulder the brand and by proxy the construction makes a huge difference. Some brands just have a good rep for excellent terminal performance by virtue of their construction.

Quick Reply: Bullet Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.