Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I need a mentor

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Spike

Default I need a mentor

Hey everyone, I've posted a couple time talking about myself being a new hunter and asking for advice, and on one of my posts someone recommended I try to find someone to mentor me that lives nearby. I thought that was a great idea. I'm 18 years old, and I live in Auburn, Alabama. I'm attending Auburn University, and am currently interested in hunting primarily small game around where I live. I don't have a car currently, but I can use my girlfriends most of the time to get around as long as it's within an hour or so. If there's anyone that lives around here that would be willing to "train" me that'd be great. I have a healthy amount of firearms experience, but have only been on a hunting trip with hawks and falcons. Well, I guess that's about it. If anybody is interested let me know. Thanks

Chase
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a mentor

I'd love to teach you what little I know if we were closer. I've been hunting & shooting over 40 years. Just feel free to pm me and I'll attempt to answer any questions you may have.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Spike

No one lives around me...
Old 01-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was you I would find me a gun shop,bow shop or something along those lines go in every so often make friends with folks and see if you can find someone to "mentor" you.When I started bow hunting that's what I did I didn't know squat but I went in and watched,asked and learned that was about the time you were born but the fellas I met were all glad to share their expieriences with me.Give it a shot you might be surprised what you get out of it.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a lot you can do and learn on your own.

Get a copy of the hunting/fishing regulations in your area. Any store that sells hunting equipment should either have it or know where you can get it. You may also be able to get a PDF online.

Here in Arizona, the book has a map of the state broken up in to different areas-its called a "Game Management Unit map". Different species are hunted in different areas during different times of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if your state did something similar.

Look through the regs and decide upon an area you would like to hunt. Make sure you are permitted to hunt thatspecies in the area you want and when you want. You may have to look around for different areas to get the species/dates that you want. At least this is what we do in Arizona, Alabama may be different.

Once you have found an area you want to hunt. Take a trip there and explore it (be sure to tell someone where you are going and when you will be back). Learn about the area. Look for places where you could set up a stand or a campsite. If you can do it, camp out there and go scouting for the animal you want to hunt. You can "hunt" with a camera and binoculars anytime you want. This is a great way to build up your skills and knowledge before the hunt.

If you can successfully spot your species with a pair of binoculars, you should be able to do it on opening day.

Hope this was of some help.
~Robert

Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

I have the book and it does have a map as you described, the problem is I'm at college, and I don't have a car. I can borrow my girlfriends to run to Tuskegee national forest which is only like 15 minutes away, but I can't really go anywhere that I would spend a weekend at. Thanks for the advice though. I've been reading as much as I can to learn what I need to and have put a ton of time into learning about the various types of hunting I plan to do.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to do would be to buy all the books you can on hunting small game and whatever other game you're hunting. Everybody will have slightly different ideas but in general you'll gleen VAST quantities of valuable knowledge pertaining to that subject. perhaps check out such books at the library so you won't have to buy them. ABOVE ALL take some kind of formal training on safety class.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Spike

In Alabama we're required to complete a hunters education class and then attend a "field day" where we learn how to safely hunt, such as crossing ditches, fences, loading muzzleoaders, jams, misfires, and all that stuff. I'll have to see if I can find any good books, I've been able to find a huge number of educational hunting videos and texts on the internet though, which has been awesome.