Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mentor

Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mentor

Who taught you? My granpa tought me how to be a trapper, I taught myself every thing else.
Did some teach you or did you teach yoursel?f
Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mentor

Taught myself.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

My dad taught me but I have since started to teach/educate my second cousin and his uncles son. So I guess now Im a mentor.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a neighbor that was retired, taught me everything about trapping and bass fishing when I was a kid.

As far as archery goes, a co-worker stuck a bow in my hand one day then helped me set one up when I bought my first. Since then I've been self taught.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

First one in my family to hunt??? Got a vegi as an aunt and an animal lover as a mom, sure mom eats meat but she is ignorant to where that meat comes from...regardless as soon as I was old enough bought my own bow and license and started. That being said as a kid my best friend and his dad bowhunted and always let me shoot their practice bows, I knew then that I loved it, in fact I still remember helping them drag an eight point from behind his house. It was him who taught me good shooting ethics, and management...When I got my first deer two years ago it was him who I called..even hung the deer in his barn...so I guess he was a mentor...

I'm lucky now, that my brother has started hunting because of me and I'm seeing my young cousins taking an interest...hopefully I can pass the favor on.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

No one in my family hunts. Only a few of my friends do. I taught myself everything.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

everyone in my family hunts but strangely enough i would have to say that not one of them was my mentor. seemingly everything i have learned was from doing. very little time was invested into me to 'grow' me into a better hunter. so i would have to say that i taught myself.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Noone in my family hunts. My father and I fished like crazy for a very long time. I caught the hunting bug when I turned 17 and got my hunting license. I basically taught myself everything by listening to others talk, reading books, and just getting out in the woods. I have come a long way, but still have a very long way to go in order to consider myself a competent deer hunter. Thank you god for inspiring me to hunt and instilling a passion in me for hunting.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I come from a long line of hunters, but unfortunately I am the last of the Mohicans!
My dad started me out as soon as I was old enough. My grandpa ( dad's dad) and my dad's uncle , my dad and my da's brother all grew up hunting. They used to go out west hunting mulies every year, and hunted rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, quail and deer around here. When I was old enough to go out, I was the dog, then I was able to start hunting myself finally. Then it ended up just being me and my Dad. Grandpa and my dad's uncle got older and slowed down, my dad's brother stopped hunting altogether. so it was just me and dad. He brought me up right. Now dad is retired and has all the grankids etc, he rarely hunts much anymore. But I am definitely the most hardcore of all. And they will all tell you that.
I have a daughter who is in her first year of college. She likes to shoot her bow, and get out a few times. God didn't bless me with a son to pass it on. But, there are alot of young bowhunters out there who I have helped get into the great lifestyle we share, so I guess that I did help pass on the tradition a little bit ( and still will.)

Quick Reply: Mentor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.