HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need a mentor
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
RobertSubnet
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a mentor

There is a lot you can do and learn on your own.

Get a copy of the hunting/fishing regulations in your area. Any store that sells hunting equipment should either have it or know where you can get it. You may also be able to get a PDF online.

Here in Arizona, the book has a map of the state broken up in to different areas-its called a "Game Management Unit map". Different species are hunted in different areas during different times of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if your state did something similar.

Look through the regs and decide upon an area you would like to hunt. Make sure you are permitted to hunt thatspecies in the area you want and when you want. You may have to look around for different areas to get the species/dates that you want. At least this is what we do in Arizona, Alabama may be different.

Once you have found an area you want to hunt. Take a trip there and explore it (be sure to tell someone where you are going and when you will be back). Learn about the area. Look for places where you could set up a stand or a campsite. If you can do it, camp out there and go scouting for the animal you want to hunt. You can "hunt" with a camera and binoculars anytime you want. This is a great way to build up your skills and knowledge before the hunt.

If you can successfully spot your species with a pair of binoculars, you should be able to do it on opening day.

Hope this was of some help.
~Robert