Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I'm becoming a mentor >

I think I'm becoming a mentor

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I'm becoming a mentor

Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I think I'm becoming a mentor

Just figured I'd share this little story with you guys cause it is a lot of fun.
Long story short I shoot my bow alot in my yard. Little neighbor kid loves watching me &asking a million questions. Parents bought him a little banshee bow last Xmas, but with baseball he's been quite busy.

Last nightI get him set up and shooting. He does pretty well hitting the deer more often than not from 5 yds. Tonight he races over minutes after I get home from work, so we set up some time later after dinner. For a little kid (7 yrs old) and meager equipment, he does quite well, and then he challenges ME(shooting my recurve)to a contest[8D]So we have our shootoff, me taking the 1st round by barely an arrow. He takes the 2nd round by an arrow. The 3rd round we both moved back some. He was down to his last arrow, and it wasn't looking good for him. I made him a deal that if he put a perfect kill shot on the deer he wins.You could seethe story book ending coming the instant he released the arrow. wham, right in there, he goes charging thru the yard like he won the superbowl, it was really cool to see him so happy.

So we'll see how his enthusiasm carries, he's always seemed fascinated by me shooting. His Dad was real cool wanting me to teach his son the right way and get him on the right path. I feel this could be my chance to give something back.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I think I'm becoming a mentor

Thats amazing. Way to go Rybo!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story man! Guys like you are what makes this such a great website
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds perfect Ryan and I hope you have fun with him and hold his interest into his teens. With you as his mentor, he'll be awesome in the end.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice to hear about a youngster interested in something other than a video game... Thats awesome. Tell him congrats on spanking you too....
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome rybo...thats awesome.

im only 20...i try to do what i can but in the end i end up with people that have no patience at all. took a kid turkey hunting a couple times...he wouldnt sit still...he was only a year younger than me! lol..i didnt even make him sit long..

took my cousin deer hunting. only had a couple hours so i still hunted/pushed in his direction. set him up perfect. i had deer moving right to him the whole time. sure enough, they walked right by where i had him sitting...fresh tracks in the snow...he decided to talk a walk...i wasnt gone more than an hour

did well teaching a buddy to shoot his bow...i try to work with him as often as i can...he does well for having a mediocre setup...i think hed be alright if he practiced more and put more time into it..

i try...but im busy and everyone i know is busy...it does feel good watchin my buddy shoot...i sit there and think "and i taught him to do that!"

everyone i know knows i love hunting and am ALWAYS open to take juniors on youth hunts...or even give up my hunting time to take them. i get people booked every year for the youth turkey hunt..then a day before i find out i dont have anyone to take

good luck with him...keep him at it..but at his own pace...maybe even a cheap BB gun will keep him interested in the outdoors/shooting/hunting..i know i used to love shooting a tin can in the yard with the BB gun when i wasnt tryin to fling arrows beside dad..scouting trips were always fun as well. dad would let me chase snakes and turtles and frogs and stuff like that...but also showed me buck rubs and scrapes...turkey scratchings...animal tracks etc...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Story RYBowHunter.....!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

When I saw the title... 1st thought was good, now there might be hope for Fran!! [8D]

Great job on taking the time to help a kid out and get him into archery!! That is just awesome and says a lot about you. We are looking forward to meeting you next year at Troy's. Best of luck hunting and mentoring!!

Tim
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome man!!!!!

Looks like you just brought up a new hunter into the world!!!

Props to you!! ^5
Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesome i tried to get my little brother into huntin but all he cares about are stupid(imo) video games. i mean i like to play them but he's bad mom has to make him quit and go outside and play.

Quick Reply: I think I'm becoming a mentor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.