Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Bait

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Bait

Calling and baiting aren't one in the same. If you're going to bait, you will need a lot of what ever you choice to use and steady supply of it to keep the coyotes coming back for more.
If you're going to call them, don't plan on carrying bair around, because it ain't going to help.
And #68 nailed it, a decoy won't usually help bring a coyote that otherwise wasn't going to come to just calling, but it will pull the attention away from your position allowing you to move around more without being noticed. Too many guys buy a decoy expecting it to bring the critters on the run when if they'd learn to call better, they'd learn the decoy is the last piece of equipment needed to be successful at killing predators.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, the decoy is a great tool for giving the coyote somthing else to keep their attention on, instead of the hunter.Even more so this time of year. All you need is the sillo. decoys, there made from plastic corragated, very light and easy to carry along on a long walk. I also think that a bait pile is hit more at night by coyotes.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

i have heard that people actually do use dogs for bait. They're just an enticer for the yotes to come a little closer before you drop the hammer.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

yes they do, theres an articl in " fish fur andgame " this months ed. on decoy dogs. They say a good dog can really make a difference, but I have never done it. I hunted with a group of guys in central Illinois last year that had english walkers.
they were trained to run the coyotes, if you posted near the right spot it would work good. It never worked out for us that week.