Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Use your dog for coyote bait?

Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Use your dog for coyote bait?

I found a pack of yotes but they wont come to my rabbit distress calls. Someone told me to take my dog out there(make sure shes leashed), and to use pup distress calls. The yoters will smell your dog and hear the pups and come in aggresively. Has any one tried this?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Use your dog for coyote bait?

Dont know but i don't think the Coyotes would come in to my dog i have a 120+ lb rottweiler
Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tut23

Dont know but i don't think the Coyotes would come in to my dog i have a 120+ lb rottweiler
Just borrow a neighbor's poodle.[8D]
Old 12-01-2005, 03:15 PM

I have an 80 lb. wolf dog. And she howls @ any kind of game call so I dont think that would hurt any!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM

I have heard of folks doing that, makes sense. I have had to shoot two coyotes and one feral dog while squirrel huning with my Jack Russell. The feral dog was the only one that I know for sure thatwas hell-bent on killing her, the coyotes may have been up to the same until they saw me. At that point they turned to get out of there.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:55 PM

lol. never heard that before. Kinda stupid to use your own dog, a man's best hunting pal, to use as a scent decoy.Sound like some backwards thinking to me. A domesticated dogs scent is a whole world different than a wild canine like a coyote. I am still laughing......Ahhh sorry, but tht made my day...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coyotes will eat domestic dogs if given the chance. Every dog we've ever had has learned real quick to stay close to the house when the sun starts going down.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Coyotes will eat domestic dogs if given the chance. Every dog we've ever had has learned real quick to stay close to the house when the sun starts going down.
All my dogs did, until I got a 150 lb.black lab/ rottweiler! Now when coyotes howl close to the house he barks and they back off to the next hill over
Old 12-27-2005, 08:18 PM

USE YOUR DOG AS BAIT??? now thats just plain stupid!! lets just say that some how your dog gets loose or you miss a shot on one and your dog gets tangled up with one!!! even if the coyote doesn't kill it, your dog will get roughed up and maybe catch a disease from it. or what if your dog just runs off and gets lost, hit by a car, shot or even abducted by marshins!!! then how would you feel knowing your friend is gone because of your stupidity and lazyness to not finding REAL bait or learning how to call them yourself!!!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM

The Airedale Terrier was bred for exactly this sort of hunting. Its not so much as bait as it is a way of aggrivating the coyote. I know lots of people who do it and there's no reason to keep it on a leash. The dog sees the coyote long before you do and she goes out there and messes with it. then she comes back to you with the coyote in tow. they're big enough to take care of themselves and they usually love the work.
It isn't any more stupid than hunting boars or bears with dogs. In fact its much safer. go to www.coyotegods.com and look in the forum you'll find more info than you can read.

Quick Reply: Use your dog for coyote bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.