Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 How to hunt thick forest and brush??? >

How to hunt thick forest and brush???

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to hunt thick forest and brush???

Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Default How to hunt thick forest and brush???

I have been hunting with everything including Mouth calls. Electronic calls.. Ground blind,,, treestand you name it and I still have yet to see a yote. I know they are in the area... And I need to know howto get them?? Litterally you can really only see fifty yards clearly!

I call for fourty five minutes: Call for 45 seconds to a minute sequence wait three minutes... call again wait three minutes then after calling for 35 minutes I stop and just watch.
Am I doing something wrong and I was wondering why I havent even seen a fox or bobcat.
The only thing I called in was a dog which at first I thought was a coyote and put the crosshairs on itThen I quickly realized.

Can someone give me advise???
Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to hunt thick forest and brush???

Are you using any howls?now is a good time to use a howl followed by some breeding yips of a female if you live down south until the end of march,I live in KY and march has produced more coyotes to coyote sounds than any other month for me.Also ckeck your wind good and approach with the ultimate caution,if you have hunted alot you know how good you can see sitting back in the woods over looking fields and you cant be seen from the animals approaching in the fields,now reverse that and think how to get in the woods without being seen or heard or smelled,I've been hunting coyotes seriously for 11 seasons and have discovered that a good setup is worth far more to your success than any sound you can make.If you can hunt the edges of the woods that you are talking about,you could probably setup much quieter and see farther,but dont expect to call many cats into the open,coyotes will come on out if you are hid good.hope this helps some,be as sneaky as possible,they may be watching you!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe you should try to bring them out of the woods, instead of into the woods. #68 is right about the coyote vocals, that is the best way to gettem this time of year. A coyote decoy will help also. howel and yip for 15 seconds, with 15 min. in bettween the two calls then go with distress call, but not to much calling, only call for 15 or 20 seconds each time If you know they are in the area, it"s only a matter of time till you see one and then hopfully you will score Good luck
Old 03-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might add, that if you call a bobcat in and the cover is really thick, the chances of seeing it are slim. They are just so sneaky and they blend in so well that seeing them will be tough at best.
One thing is for sure, keep trying. No matter how good of a caller you are, you will go through periods where it seems that the coyotes are all gone because you can't buy one so to speak. This time of year is tough. Don't give up, you'll get one sooner than later.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might slow down your calling some. If you are using coyote vocalizations, do so for only a few seconds, then wait for 10-15 minutes before doing it again.

With distress calls, I usually call a few seconds, then wait about 5 minutes or so before calling again.

Keep in mind that if you use coyote vocalizations, bobcats, foxes, and other predators won't show because they could be on the menu as well.

If you have an electronic call, set it up crosswind in an opening. Let the predators approach downwind of the call, not downwind of you. A decoy would also help.

Be mindful of your silhouette. Being fully camoed isn't your main goal. Breaking up your outline is. If you can, cut some pieces of brush or whatever and place it around you to break up your outline. Wait about five minutes or so after you sit down before you start calling.

In hunting areas like this, your sounds won't travel nearly as far as they do in open country. You might only move a few hundred yards in between each set. You need to make more sets in a given area than you would in open country.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks guys... How long should I call for???
Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Well that all depends, at least 30 or 45 mins. In the thick stuff you could have somthing real close and not even know. If your in the woods, I would go with a 12 g. and when your done take a real good look before you leave. They can bust you and drop down behind a deadfall and try to hide on ya.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how much time you have. If you can call for 30 minutes at every set and still have enough time to cover the area you are hunting, then call 30 minutes or longer at each set.

If you don't have enough time to make all your sets calling that long, then shorten it down some. Unless I were entered in a hunt, I would never spend less than 15 minutes at each set. That gives most coyotes plenty of time to show, but you will miss a few that will show up after you leave. I have shot one coyote an hour and fifteen minutes after I started calling. You are just playing the odds.

If you are hunting the area regularly, spend more time at each set, and space out your sets over a period of days or weeks.

Most of the time I'm calling, I wait about 5 minutes after I get to a set to let everything settle. Then I will spend at least 30 minutes calling. Most coyotes show up in the fist 10 minutes of calling, but I've got a lot of bobcats in the neighborhood, and they are usually very slow getting there. Coyotes will run to a call. Bobcats usually creep from bush to bush, stopping frequently to take long looks around. I still have plenty of time to hunt the area in a weekend, and I won't have missed many animals showing up after I leave.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM

I for one am guilty of calling too much I think. I have a good set-up most of the time, but have blown my chance onseveral occasions because I was calling to much I think. I've been trying to give it more time between calling sequences to give them a chance to try tofigure out where the call is coming from instead of pin-pointing exactly where its coming from. I don't know if that helps you any, but I've been nailing more dogs since doing it. The best advice I can give you is LISTEN to these veteran coyote hunters, their good, and know what their talking about. Good Hunting .... SHOTARYE