Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting >

Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting

Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting

You have got to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hunting with a 17 mach 2 and have beensitting about 150-200 yards, overwatching this garden. I have already killed 5 rabbits and 2 squirrels. This little 17 mach 2 is absolutley dominating these things. ANd the best part is that i can still eat them cause there is no meat damage what so ever. The 17 mach 2 shoots pretty much a .22 casing with a ballistic tip. And like I said, its dominating out to 200 yards. You have got to try this!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me some feedback on if you like this type of hunting and if you have any suggestions on how to make this even better, please let me know and I will be very happy to try them.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting

If you're hitting them at 150-200 yds. w/ a .17 I don't think you need any suggestions on how to make it better!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: Long Range Squirrel and Rabbit Hunting

Only suggestions I might have is to stick with headshots inside of 75 yards if your intention is to keep the meat. As that little ballistic tip bullet can be devastating at the shorter ranges. Beauty of that little bullet in that HM2 round is that it can be extraordinarily accurate making your 150-yard shotslittle surprise tome. Though my experience is Velocity spreads may prevent reliable accuracy in excess of 150 yards due to elevation variation. Windage can be a trick as well as ranges exceed 125 yards IME.
If you have found a more consistent lot of ammo, more power to you.

Summer B4 last I was surprised at how accurate a Marlin 17 HMR rifle could be. On a few calm summer days I was able to be successful at 1 out of 3 shots, shooting flies at 125 yards. Little bug-gars don’t sit still very long.

That little ballistic tip bullet did not leavemuch for the table though