Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

long range hunting bullet?

Old 10-28-2005, 09:54 AM

Default long range hunting bullet?

I have been thinking about using either nosler ballistic tips, combined technologies ballistic silvertips, or swift sciroccos, all in 180gr for my 300wsm. My question is, which one is the most accurate and best suitable for taking long range deer? Any input is appriciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: long range hunting bullet?

I personally will be using the 140 gr. accubond in my 270wsm,(ballistic tips have a bad rep. for blowing up in mag rounds if the target is too close) but it all depends on you individual rifle. I would try some in each to see which shoots best in your rifle. If you haveany friends that have 300wsms you can try some without have to buy a box of each.
Bill
Old 10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, it really depends on what your particular rifle shoots best. You need to try them all to find out. Personally, I've had more success in the accuracy department with Ballistic Tips, but the Sciroccos have worked pretty well too.

Alsokeep in mind, if you're planning on shooting deer way out there, which appears to be your intention, then you absolutely have to practice shooting at that distance. You can't shoot your rifle at a 100 yard target and then make assumptions about what it's going to do at 400. The only way you'll know is to actually do it.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

As solitary man has already stated,the only way to determine which will be the most accurate in your gun is to shoot them all in your gun out to the ranges that you intend to shoot.My own rifles shoot the ballistic tips very accurately and do not group well at all with the scirocco,but your gun may be very different.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

The BT is a very accurate bullet, but in the 300 as well as my 308 it tears up the meat. The Scirocco is a very good bullet, I'm trying it out now and the accuracy is good, still needs some work but punchs 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
bigcountry

Lost river technoligies bullets are on sale now at cabelas. Never tried them myself, but they have some high BC. Also another high BC bullet is barnes, I just wouldn't trust them to open up very well at long range.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Lost river technoligies bullets are on sale now at cabelas. Never tried them myself, but they have some high BC. Also another high BC bullet is barnes, I just wouldn't trust them to open up very well at long range.
I didn't fully trust the original barnes x bullets myself but after using the tsx and seeing the results of several animals shot with tsx's,they seem to expand very reliably.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:06 PM

I got some of the 135 gr. Lost River bullets in the 270 caliber a few years back. Tried them in wet phone books and they are the deepest penetrating bullet I have ever tested, outside of a solid. Gave almost 30% more penetraton than the Barnes X. And did so at the expense of fairly small wound channel. Never did even try these bullets on game. Nor have I ever talked to anyone who has. They shot right at MOA out of my .270 Ackley Improved.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

If were talking about whitetails, you dont have to spend too much cash. I killed a doe last year with a nosler ballistic tip out of a 270. she dropped where she stood. Anyway, they arent as hard to penetrate as an elk. Any bonded bullet should be fine so long as your gun is accureate with htem. EJ
Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nosler BT's and Ballistic Silvertips are the same bullet, except for the color of the plastic point. If they shoot well in your gun, try Nosler Accubonds. They are supposed to be the same bullet as the BT, but witha bonded core to make them hold together better at short ranges/high velocities. After ranges get to 300 yards or beyond, even the BT's will most likely stay in one piece.....

Quick Reply: long range hunting bullet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.